calling any one from missouri

We found the rat snake this morning tangled in the bird netting over the chicken run. He was locked tight with several strands strangling him. My daughter got some long shears and carefully freed him, one strand at a time, while I held his head back with a plastic rake. He stayed there knotted up, maybe just warming up, not sure. Later—he was gone. 7BF994A7-B9F3-4A77-9D2B-D3A316D4A052.jpeg

Last edited:
@Uncle Turk I just noticed your post while poking around on the Missouri thread. Just popped in to say I'm just west of Mexico! :)
:frow hi erinnlynn, welcome to the thread. I am so far behind I may not catch up. No notifications for last 15 pages or so. Hope all are well! Poplar Bluff area here (SE MO).

hello, just wondering who comes from missouri
hu.gif
:

woot.gif
Hi. Does anyone have kids in 4H poultry? Anyone going to the Missouri Extension Poultry day at MU? We are going to submit a couple dozen eggs for judging. I have some idea of what they're looking for, but I still have so many questions! Last year at our county fair, they just asked my daughter what kind of eggs are these? -then gave her a blue ribbon. We learned nothing about what they were looking for! I've read you want to submit eggs from the same hen, try to get same color, same shape, no weird calcium spots, or odd shaping on egg, etc., but I wonder with speckled eggs, do they not like those because commercial egg companies won't have those? Do they not like it if speckling varies greatly? Also do they count off if the hen is a mixed breed -do they want purebred eggs? I've asked the contact for the poultry day this year. She just copied and pasted the general description from the website and sent me that! 🤷‍♀️ We are the 4H poultry leader for our kids since there was no group leader this year. Thanks for any tips you may have!

I didn’t know what these mushrooms were, one appeared the previous day—all slimy with flies buzzing around it. I had to look it up, thus learning about stinkhorn mushrooms. They put out a stink that attracts the flies. They need the flies to distribute their spores.
There were 4 more this morning. All had wilted away by noon.

Back
Top Bottom