calling any one from missouri

Looks like they plan on giving me extensions until they can rewrite the code.
Problem is, they're talking about limits on numbers, coops, setbacks, etc.. All things they know nothing about. That's not to mention they want to have a schedule of inspections, permits, license fees, et. al..
Originally Posted by zzGypsy

sound like a call for you to propose how the new code should read... maybe write it yourself and take it to them for discussion? put some experience and logic in it from the start...
Wouldn't you be grandfathered in already?
I admit that I dont know law, but the fact that you had chickens before the new law(s) go into effect should protect you somewhat. If your family had chickens/livestock since before the city grew around you, then there's a lot of old laws that shouldn't affect you.
CG

Wouldn't you be grandfathered in already?
I admit that I dont know law, but the fact that you had chickens before the new law(s) go into effect should protect you somewhat. If your family had chickens/livestock since before the city grew around you, then there's a lot of old laws that shouldn't affect you.
CG
it doesn't always work that way. consider it in these terms: even if you've been growning pot continuously since 1942, long before it was illegal, you're breaking the law if you continue to grow it now. if grandfathering was automatic, and you were molesting your nephew before the anti-molesting law was enacted, you could continue to do so, you just couldn't start molesting your neice...

Generally zoning laws allow for grandfathering because things like re-desiging existing buildings to meet more modern building codes is impractical, but cities use zoning laws to force out businesses they don't approve of all the time (say, change the zoning so the strip clubs can no longer operate in a given area, or so they can operate, but only if they don't serve alcohol). if a city wants to make people *stop* keeping chickens, they can assert their power via zoning laws. not that they *should* be able to, but the state of government and lawmaking is such at the moment that they can, and do.

the only real rights one has in the area is the ex post facto issue... that is if they change the zoning law this year to say you can't keep chickens, they can't go back and prosecute you for having kept chickens *last* year.

grandfathering allows for a natural attrition of a particular behavior... you can keep your existing chickens, but the folks who buy your house won't be able to have any... until the turnover results in compliance. it's considered a courtesy, it cuts down on resistance from those with a vested interest in fighting the law/zoning change, but there's nothing that says a new ordinance has to allow for grandfathering.

Last edited:
good point
If grandfathered, I still couldn't breed and cull to improve the flocks.
Normally grandfathering allows the existing birds but the removal of one or all does not allow for that bird to be replaced.

Thou that family could Lease their house for 999 years and allow the said family to live there and keep chickens. That would in fact transfer the grandfathering to them thou the house would still be legally owned by the original owner, thou they'd never out live the lease.

I think I'd apply for a conditional use permit. That would exempt you from the new changes in the law and or code and allow you to simply continue as you all ways have.

Who's gonna be able to tell you had a chicken die and replaced it with another one, sure if it looked drastically different but it's just a chicken. One could switch to an all one colour breed to make this more doable, thou I remember you had some rare chickens your devoting your time and efforts to.

THOU since ChickenCanoe is trying to bring back some rare foul number back up, I'd think you maybe able to get some legal help and or advice from some of the people in one of the groups pushing to save rare fowl breeds. Such as the American Livestock Breeds Conservancy (ALBC).

I actually spoke to someone at ALBC about this. They had 2 points. One is that they don't get involved in issues of government/codes/zoning.
Two is that they aren't concerned with any breeds that weren't in the USA in 1900.

hello fellow MO folk! me and my wife are new to chickens, with our first tiny flock of 5 being 8-10 weeks old. been very much enjoying them thus far, and we look forward to watching them continue to grow, the fresh eggs they'll eventually produce for us, and taking advantage of the resources here on BYC!
frow.gif

Hi guys!! Im from the bootheel of mo, southeast mo. :) will be starting to raise chickens soon! Want to stick to only black australorps for now.

we are from the northwest corner of Missouri
Welcome to BYC and the Missouri thread!
welcome-byc.gif

All right all fellow missourians , I am looking to purchase a modern game hen for my aunt. We are hoping to find one her in Mo. Does anyone know where or who has them.

Me myself , I love Serama, Silkies and Lavender Orps. Soooo if anyone is looking for any of these types of chickens, I may have what you are looking for.

Also...... is anyone heading to the ABA poultry show in Sedalia this OCT? If you are into Serama we are having our very first Table Top show this year. If you need more info, let me know and I will send it your way.
yesss.gif

All right all fellow missourians , I am looking to purchase a modern game hen for my aunt. We are hoping to find one her in Mo. Does anyone know where or who has them.

Me myself , I love Serama, Silkies and Lavender Orps. Soooo if anyone is looking for any of these types of chickens, I may have what you are looking for.

Also...... is anyone heading to the ABA poultry show in Sedalia this OCT? If you are into Serama we are having our very first Table Top show this year. If you need more info, let me know and I will send it your way.
yesss.gif

Hey Realsassy1,
welcome-byc.gif

Can't help you out as I have an Old English Game Bantum pullet. You might have some luck if you go to http://www.facebook.com/groups/225021300913860/
It's a facebook page for swapping MO chickens.

CG

I have a ben getting her back feathers pecked out by the others. I think an Austria white started it on this rhode island... Other than pulling her out by herself until she heals ... Any thought? Coop to small? They get out to free range usually, but maybe it started after 3-4 days of not getting out. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom