calling any one from missouri

lol, I have a feeling she would put you to work quick, fast and in a hurry
lau.gif

Ready to move? Trust me there isn't enough space for me to tell the whole story. Let's just say that we took possession the end of October and he was just starting to build his new house in September. I told him that I wanted the compost for my garden and would help him clean it out if he would help me pile it for final composting....5 years later we are still trying to find the original dirt floor.

On a brighter note, I started building my brooder today. Not much else to do in this cold weather besides set in front of the fireplace, cut koroplast and zip tie it together. Since we have 5 cats and 5 dogs, I have to build this thing like Fort Knox. I'll do some pics of it when I get it done.

Conservation has been good helping us with our timber restoration. Hope they can help you with your fox problem.

That's gonna be there chicken's job, taking care of the grass and bugs between the rows. Last year when we were picking berries the grasshoppers were so bad I started to refer to them as 'chicken feed'. I have plans for a tractor for them and won't even fuss is the mooch a berry or two as they work.

Our plan is to sell fruit to some of the area wineries if the weather and grasshoppers would cooperate.

Last edited:
I live in the St. Louis area and I am looking for someone who would have some Maran's and some Ameraucana to add to my flock for some egg color. Does anybody know of anyone in the area that would have any?
Does not have to be show quality.

I live in the St. Louis area and I am looking for someone who would have some Maran's and some Ameraucana to add to my flock for some egg color. Does anybody know of anyone in the area that would have any?
Does not have to be show quality.

No Marans but I have Black Penedesencas. Very dark eggs and IMHO, one of the easiest breeds to keep.

I also just set 4 eggs from my Ameraucana. Only penedesenca roosters so her offspring should be olive eggers.
http://www.meetup.com/stlouischickens/

the website is for a meetup in St. Louis one of the members here on the boards told me about.
Take a look it is one of the largest groups and I'm sure you will find many in your area with the birds you are looking for.

Good luck =)
cristi
Our meetup started with just coop tours and even though we still do them from time to time, in the interest of biosecurity we do more breakfast, lunch, coffee meetings and classes at the Humane Society. Classes have been on things like growing fodder, making fermented feed, nail trimming, clicker training, and processing meat birds.

I used to be on the sustainable living tour but I'm NPIP now and have decided not to have visitors any more that have visited chickens.

Biosecurity is a concern for my husband and myself. Now that we have chicks ordered for late March early April pick up, my thoughts have turned to getting a brooder built, set up and tested. I was working on my construction the other day when my husband and I began to discuss Biosecurity once we have our chicks raised to a point where they can be outside in their pen.

We on occasion have Amish neighbors stop by and in the late summer they are here haying our pastures and baling. The cutting and raking are done by horse drawn equipment and is really something to see.

Truthfully, however, the concern came up between us wondering how we protect our young flock from outside contamination. Most of our Amish neighbors have large free range flocks of chickens, turkeys, ducks and geese. I'm sure they have to practice some sort of biosecurity on some of their dairy operations but I sincerely doubt if it is practiced where their fowl are concerned.

Will my flock be safe enough if we just keep them confined and not allow anyone other than my husband and myself in their run to feed or handle them? Or will they be exposed to airborne pathogens if somebody contaminated comes onto the property? I've tried to do some research on the subject and about all I can find is information about airborne pathogens. Anybody out there deal with this with Amish neighbors if you have any? Our local Amish farms are either meticulously clean and orderly or on the other end of the scale, look like Fred Sanford's junk yard on a bad day.

Thanks!

microchick/bex

No Marans but I have Black Penedesencas. Very dark eggs and IMHO, one of the easiest breeds to keep. I also just set 4 eggs from my Ameraucana. Only penedesenca roosters so her offspring should be olive eggers. Our meetup started with just coop tours and even though we still do them from time to time, in the interest of biosecurity we do more breakfast, lunch, coffee meetings and classes at the Humane Society. Classes have been on things like growing fodder, making fermented feed, nail trimming, clicker training, and processing meat birds. I used to be on the sustainable living tour but I'm NPIP now and have decided not to have visitors any more that have visited chickens. I saw you craigslist post. I am interested, let me read up on the breed alittle

@chickencanoe, yes...not sure what happened. I sae tour craigslist post, i am interested. How old are your pullets/hens? Pm me with the specifics.

Biosecurity is a concern for my husband and myself. Now that we have chicks ordered for late March early April pick up, my thoughts have turned to getting a brooder built, set up and tested. I was working on my construction the other day when my husband and I began to discuss Biosecurity once we have our chicks raised to a point where they can be outside in their pen.

We on occasion have Amish neighbors stop by and in the late summer they are here haying our pastures and baling. The cutting and raking are done by horse drawn equipment and is really something to see.

Truthfully, however, the concern came up between us wondering how we protect our young flock from outside contamination. Most of our Amish neighbors have large free range flocks of chickens, turkeys, ducks and geese. I'm sure they have to practice some sort of biosecurity on some of their dairy operations but I sincerely doubt if it is practiced where their fowl are concerned.

Will my flock be safe enough if we just keep them confined and not allow anyone other than my husband and myself in their run to feed or handle them? Or will they be exposed to airborne pathogens if somebody contaminated comes onto the property? I've tried to do some research on the subject and about all I can find is information about airborne pathogens. Anybody out there deal with this with Amish neighbors if you have any? Our local Amish farms are either meticulously clean and orderly or on the other end of the scale, look like Fred Sanford's junk yard on a bad day.

Thanks!

microchick/bex

I think you'll be alright as long as you don't let anyone but yourselves into run, etc. to care for chickens....if your chickens don't go out where the hay had been cut,etc, they should be OK. I dont' think airborne pathogens are a concern as yet with chickens here...and as always, wash your hands and use only boots/shoes for the pen/runs, that you use only for that, and no where else...

Back
Top Bottom