calling any one from missouri

Hello fellow Missourians :)
I am a chicken newbie in Springfield. I have a White Wyandotte, 3 Columbian Wyandottes, and 2 Speckled Sussex. I am a complete newb and have been reading all I can off of this site :)
I do have a quick question-My chickies are 8 weeks old, is it too soon to be able to tell if they are pullets or roos? I have 1 Columbian that either is a roo or a really aggressive hen, and I am pretty sure one of my Sussex is a roo.
Another quick question-since I am in town I am not able to have roos. What is the best way to deal with them? I can't eat them-lol-I know it's silly but my 4 yr old would be devastated if I told her we were eating Snow White and Belle :) and looking at craigslist it looks like people around here are having a hard time getting rid of roosters.

I am a little confused. I was told.. at Cackle Hatchery... that easter eggers and ameracauna was the same thing. I bought 15 and one free... so I have 16 .. but now I dont know which I have . I am wanting the variety of colored eggs and read a few pages back that ee lay the variety of colors and Amer.. lay blue. I also bought all pullets, but looks like I may have a roo in the mix. Maybe that was the free one...lol. Sure hope I got the EE's. Is there any way to tell other than waiting for the eggs? I got them July 29 so they are only about 5 weeks old..
Easter Eggers and Ameraucanas are not the same breed. EE's are what you have if you got them from Cackle. EE's are great chickens and come in lots of fun colors and have the potential to lay anywhere from blue, green, pinkish beige, and even cream colored eggs. Very nice colors for the egg basket. However the hatcheries are very wrong on calling them Ameraucanas. They are two separate breeds and they can't be both.

Lot of variety in colors

I bought this one as a white cochin... thinking maybe... not white and a male???

another of my white cochin???

buffs and an easter egger

this is one that I bought as a pullet, buff.. thinking not a pullet

Love this color

easter egger girl

I bought all pullets but thinking this one is not????

again

and a different view.
Yes these are EE's. Correct the cochin is not white it's blue. Little early to tell on age though.

I am a chicken newbie in Springfield. I have a White Wyandotte, 3 Columbian Wyandottes, and 2 Speckled Sussex. I am a complete newb and have been reading all I can off of this site :)
I do have a quick question-My chickies are 8 weeks old, is it too soon to be able to tell if they are pullets or roos? I have 1 Columbian that either is a roo or a really aggressive hen, and I am pretty sure one of my Sussex is a roo.
Another quick question-since I am in town I am not able to have roos. What is the best way to deal with them? I can't eat them-lol-I know it's silly but my 4 yr old would be devastated if I told her we were eating Snow White and Belle :) and looking at craigslist it looks like people around here are having a hard time getting rid of roosters.
Some breeds you can tell early on by the comb size and color, but others take a while to mature. I would say it's a bit early still to tell sex but could possibly just depends on what the combs are looking like. Hard to say without a pic and even then could be too soon.

You definitely will not get rich off of roosters but the best way to deal with them is to sell them. They may end up in the frying pan but you wouldn't have to eat them yourself and they could also go to be someones backyard flock rooster. You just never know. If you having trouble getting a couple bucks for them you could either offer them for free or even consider selling a hen to go with the rooster as a pair to get the rooster sold.

wee.gif

Woohoo!!!

My Muscovy babies are hatching!

There were three under there and a fourth one hatching when I came inside. She started with 13 eggs (I think) so we should have a whole nest full of adorable by the end of the day!

we returned to the store we got ours at and we were able to rehome one of our roos, to a worker there that has a farm. luckly we are not in the city limits and roos are ok here. we got 6 out of10 were roos.

I have a question. I have an EE that has been very slow to start laying. (Her sister started about a month ago), anyway. She did the egg song a few times with no results but when she did finally lay an egg it was the size of a GRAPE! I'm not exaggerating

Since this one we have gotten three or four more, about once a week, all the same size. I know they can start out small but I wasn't expecting this! Is this normal? Is there something wrong with her? She acts fine.
Thanks for any in site.
Ricki

So on my question about sexing-my Sussex started trying to crow early this morning...I say "try" because it sounded like a stepped on cat with a gag in it's mouth-but I heard it at three and didn't think anything of it...but when I went in this morning he hopped up to greet me and arched his back and crowed 3 times (so cute). Still not for sure on the Columbian-it's crest is bigger than the others and bright pink, but it hasn't tried to crow. I will try to get pics later today.

I have a question. I have an EE that has been very slow to start laying. (Her sister started about a month ago), anyway. She did the egg song a few times with no results but when she did finally lay an egg it was the size of a GRAPE! I'm not exaggerating

Since this one we have gotten three or four more, about once a week, all the same size. I know they can start out small but I wasn't expecting this! Is this normal? Is there something wrong with her? She acts fine.
Thanks for any in site.
Ricki

perfectly normal

Back
Top Bottom