calling any one from missouri

fun to look at the early evening sky and be the first in the group to spot a satellite or see how many meteors the group can spot
love.gif
Oh yes! Star gazing...

Wow, sorry for vanishing for half a year! I went back to college so I haven't been able to watch the birds grow for a few months. I'm back in town though for a while, and they certainly grew up while I was gone! They're egg laying machines, but we've been fighting a plucking issue for a few weeks now. Tried blu-kote and that didn't help.

I had to play "rooster rescue" while in college, someone accidentally got a rooster in his flock and he couldn't keep it. One hour-trip later and my mom has a new, young buff orpington rooster! Which we'll probably end up having to keep because of some reasons. Dad was a bit worried about egg quality but gathering them up daily shouldn't effect that. I wonder what the offspring of a buff orpington/black sexlink will look like? I'm guessing whatever went into the cross, plus buff orpingtons.

A pack of dogs ravaged our guineafowl while both of us were out, leaving us with only ONE female and way too many males.
he.gif
Anyone want to trade some hens for a few males? I'm worried for her being the only girl when summer comes along. For males, we've got 4 royal purples and a lavender, they'll be a year old come summer. They all look and sound healthy (though I'm no expert) despite being crowded in a too-small enclosure because the cold's been keeping us from building them anything nicer.

I had a hawk dive through my avery netting into my chicken coop yesterday. He was scared, I was scared not a fun time and I got him out. Didn't kill him, let him go, I hope that was the right thing to do. The chickens hid, roosters protected and all we lost were some feathers. I was always told I didn't need the netting that they do not fly into pens....wrong.

It's a good thing you didn't kill the hawk because that's pretty illegal, I don't even think there's an exception for protecting your flock when it comes to raptors.

I had a hawk dive through my avery netting into my chicken coop yesterday. He was scared, I was scared not a fun time and I got him out. Didn't kill him, let him go, I hope that was the right thing to do. The chickens hid, roosters protected and all we lost were some feathers. I was always told I didn't need the netting that they do not fly into pens....wrong.
I think I remembered a rule thaty ou had the conservation dept if a protected species got in your livestock/land/pond. Not sure if it's still require though.

So is everyone trying to dig out?! LOL! Been awfully quiet in here.

Since we were talking goats, I thought I'd share. (I don't think I already told you guys) One of my goaties had her first set of kids a week ago. It was only 8 degrees the night she delivered... they arrived at 11:30 and 11:45. Two ADORABLE lovely white girls. The cold almost did them in despite being born inside a barn with heat lamps on them. In fact, the first born's little ears froze while I was trying to dry her off! I had to use a hair dryer to thaw them out. It was a rough beginning, but they both survived (and miraculously... so did I after 3 hours of trying to help them get up and nurse).

Without further ado... may I introduce Lilly (standing) and Nyla.

Lilly got her name because she is absolutely Lilly white and she's refined and elegant. Nyla got her name because she endured those awful frostbitten ears. (Nyla was the Inuit wife of Nanook of the North). She's sturdy and thriving now!

A few more pics... just because.

Back
Top Bottom