calling any one from missouri

K &L Alternative Livestock and Bird Auction
Yates Center, KS

March 1st and 2nd

Sale schedule - Consignments (as they come in) - All sale info can be found on the website: www.kramerlivestockfarm.com Go to the livestock sale page.

The largest animal auction of its kind in the area. Come and check it out.

I think we had some frostbite on our chickens. We had a heat lamp in the coop but we still have birds with missing toenails and toe tips. They seem to be doing OK, but it is not a pretty site. Is this common? Is there anything else I could of done? We had about two inches of pine shavings on bottom of coop and a heat lamp, but they could go outside if they wanted. Most of the time they did not. As you know we had a couple of weeks of extreme cold...

Wider roosts usually solve frostbitten toes if the coop bedding is dry and straw covers the snow.

A heat lamp sometimes works against you since it can raise humidity - the primary cause of frostbite.

I think we had some frostbite on our chickens.  We had a heat lamp in the coop but we still have birds with missing toenails and toe tips.  They seem to be doing OK, but it is not a pretty site.  Is this common?  Is there anything else I could of done?  We had about two inches of pine shavings on bottom of coop and a heat lamp, but they could go outside if they wanted.  Most of the time they did not.  As you know we had a couple of weeks of extreme cold...

Hello
I have a dirt floor.in my 18x30 chicken house with 3windows. In November I put about 1 1/2ft of hay down. then I just keep adding to it all winter I start out puting my water up on cement blocks and I hang the feeder.Dec I add a metal heater drum. Raising the water higher I keep one heater lamp going in there.I don't clean it out until spring .as long as you have good ventilation.watch out for moisture. I keep my water as high as my chickens back. I keep red bricks on top of the cement bricks as winter goes on next winter I am changing to a hanging waterer.. The chicken house doesn't stink . After the first light freeze I spray, (lighty the purches with cooking spray oil. I touch it up threw out the winter. Out of 13 hens. I still get 8 eggs a day
Ps if you rake leaves bag them store them any where. add them to the chicken house floor the biddies love them

Back
Top Bottom