calling any one from missouri

So excited got my babies today
big_smile.png
2 Rhode Island Reds and 2 Black Bantams hehe

And here they are hehe
woot.gif

All Right Gonna have some fun now !!

Aw! I'm getting some Rhode Island reds tomorrow, I can't wait! I picked up some barred rock chicks today, and for some reason I feel exhausted with excitement and relief. I have a coop about half ready, but still working on the fenced in yard for free ranging, I may do a tractor first because wow fencing is harder to install, and I have decisions to make about roosts and nest and a ramp. So I zoned out watching my chicks preen and play and eat and nap and play and nap.

Then i zoned out on the porch swing since the day was sooo nice out today. I would love to put my plants in the ground but I may wait another month. I have a weird hodgepodge of seedlings this year, broccoli, basil, cilantro, Rosemary, lavender, and sunflowers. I've been dehydrating fruits and veg too. Seems like too many projects at one time, but only for today.

Maddawg.......have you considered ..........rice? Sorry.

Stocking the back yard with trout and bass would be more fun. All you would have to do is stand on the back porch, cast out your line and real in dinner! I can well sympathize, tho. I remember last year when we got almost 9 inches overnight. We were just waterlogged. I spent much of yesterday planting some plants I ordered on line and creating an Asparagus bed, then worked on our coop until time to make dinner. There just aren't enough hours in the day this time of the year.

And YIKES! Our lawn needs mowed already!

Congratulations on the new chicks Katatonic and BBrady. Yes, they are little now but just you wait! In 4 weeks they will be eating you out of house and home and look surprisingly like scruffy little miniature vultures! They will also suddenly start having moments when you swear that they are acting just like teenagers so enjoy them while they are tiny chicks.
jumpy.gif

Here is part of our little flock of Buff Orps and Welsummers at almost 28 days of age.

This is Bo/Beau. At this moment we aren't sure that he is the she that she is supposed to be but a he instead. Chest feathers are coming in dark and comb is twice the size of the ones that we are sure are hens. Guess we will know if and when Bo/Beau crows!

In all seriousness, these 12 have been a joy to have around. The little BOs are friendly and curious and the Wellsummers, while not as friendly, are curious and intelligent.
Stay dry everyone.

I came home from town today and wanted to hug my healthy happy spoiled 4 week old chicks. We had to stop by TS to pick up starter food, grit, dried meal worms, etc and the peep peep peep of chick days drew me back to the livestock tubs where they have their chicks. They had two tubs of ducklings, just too adorable to be legal and three tubs with chicks. The first tub had four chicks in it, two of them were dead. the second had four dead chicks in it and I didn't stop to count the number that were still alive. What grabbed me more than seeing the dead chicks in the tubs and almost made me almost go on a red headed screaming rant was standing there and watching a couple of live chicks cuddle up to their dead companions. I made myself walk away, find my husband, tell him what I saw, and when we went though checkout, he casually said to the two people working the register, "say, you know, you have dead chicks back there." They just shrugged and said, 'ya, we know'. Now keep in mind it was about 1pm and the store opens at what 8AM? For the love of God, what are they thinking!?

Earlier we had been into Orschelins and they had tub after tub of chicks, healthy, active, well cared for. I picked up a couple to see what kind of hen/rooster ratio they were running in the tubs (lots of potential cock a doodle doos by the wing method) and admittedly it was a bit of a shock to see what we did at TS. They will probably dump out the dead chicks eventually but I flinched when I saw a little girl run excitedly up to the tubs and yell for her mom saying Look Mommy! Chickies!

Sorry for the rant but it was more than I could take at that moment in time.

Back
Top Bottom