calling any one from missouri

Not sure if we have any MO folk that keep feathered friends besides chickens...just in case, BYC has added a 2nd calendar for 2016 that will have other poultry types (non-chicken). See my signature for the link to get the specifics, submit photos, etc.

Gilmore,
I thought everyone else was getting mostly pullets. I talked with a neighbor's niece and she bought her chickens from stores as well and she got 6 pullets and one roo out of it. Only having to part with one that you hand raised from a chick is great. We got rid of roosters named Ophelia, Silvie, Towanda, Brutus, and Bernadette. Four others we hadn't named and now I want to get rid of three silver laced wyandotte hens. They are really bossy. One is already laying. The other two I'm sure are soon to follow. There's a big difference between hens and roosters in that breed. They just aren't docile enough for my city flock. Everyone seems to love them but mine are bossy.

Question for all you biosecurity people. I bought a used chicken coop from an individual that I want to use with my new chicks I'm going to get this fall. What do I need to do to disinfect it so that I don't introduce any new germs/disease to my flock.
Thank you for your help

If you want an all natural solution, I use cleaning vinegar. You can buy it at HyVee and Walmart. It is labeled Cleaning Vinegar. Put in a spray bottle and spray everything down and let it soak for 10 mins or so then wipe it all down. Once it has evaporated the Vinegar smell goes away. Other option is just a bleach and water mix and do the same thing.

Hope this helps!
-D

Question for all you biosecurity people. I bought a used chicken coop from an individual that I want to use with my new chicks I'm going to get this fall. What do I need to do to disinfect it so that I don't introduce any new germs/disease to my flock.
Thank you for your help

Thank you for your help

I would use Bleach and water. spray the whole thing down

cdonze43,
I look at a website called chickenchick.com
She says just use apple cider vinegar. Way better than bleach. She said she does it commonly. She also says she uses sand and sifts daily. I really need to switch to sand. It would be cleaner and cheaper.

cdonze43,
I look at a website called chickenchick.com
She says just use apple cider vinegar.  Way better than bleach.  She said she does it commonly.  She also says she uses sand and sifts daily.  I really need to switch to sand.  It would be cleaner and cheaper.
Sand is good but I don't want to mess with it every day

Ours had those wrinkly eggs for a time as well. They are back to normal. I don't think it anything to worry about (I hope). Our girls are fine now so - no biggie.

Back
Top Bottom