calling any one from missouri

Zarky needs to pop in with a new story.
Here's some juvie doves that hung out in my yard today.

I’m jealous of your water garden!...

one of these days I’m going to get around to doing something like that (maybe 🙄)

I hear those ring neck doves (turtle doves) in a lot of small towns throughout missouri, but I seldom actually see them... there is a big catalpa tree next to my MILs house and I always hear them cooing in it

Out here we just have mourning doves

I've never even thought to bring the surprise lilies inside! They would probably bother my hubby's allergies anyway!
We have a Buchheit's in House Springs. I prefer it to the other 2 farm stores in the area.
Not only did they use to have free fresh popcorn but they also had a resident pig and the pig would go for walks on Saturdays and one other day and you ( or your kids or both) could walk with it and pet it! But they took the pig out to the farm to live while they wait for the corona virus thing to get under control.
The St. Louis Zoo has closed the children's zoo where kids could walk among and pet all sorts of animals in response to Covid-19. Farm animals were moved out to farms and all the others like alpacas have either been moved to other parts of the zoo or other zoos.
They plan on bringing it back in 3 or 4 years when it is safe again.
I'm sure they'll make good use of the space in the meantime.

Last edited:
Spiders? did someone request spiders? Here's Aribella, she has a web by our back door.... but I forget what kind this is.
spider.jpg
ETA oh yeah, it's a yellow garden spider
she is in her web, you just can't see it in this photo

Last edited:
I’m jealous of your water garden!...

one of these days I’m going to get around to doing something like that (maybe 🙄)

I hear those ring neck doves (turtle doves) in a lot of small towns throughout missouri, but I seldom actually see them... there is a big catalpa tree next to my MILs house and I always hear them cooing in it

Out here we just have mourning doves
We have a ton of them at my house. I think because I live right down the road from the MFA. I'm sure they are down there picking up spilled grain and such all of the time. They love to forage on the ground under the bird feeders.
Spiders? did someone request spiders? Here's Aribella, she has a web by our back door.... but I forget what kind this is.
View attachment 2289718
ETA oh yeah, it's a yellow garden spider
she is in her web, you just can't see it in this photo
NOT ME! 🤣
sorry for the angry face... I had to. 🤣

No alien bugs here lately...

but one of the kittens was playing with a cicada yesterday... she’d apparently had it for a while because at that point she would just lazily tap it with her paw to get it to buzz while laying next to it... eventuality the turkey came along and ate it... it’s nice they share like that 😉

View attachment 2289704
I knowd you would have a new turkey story by now.
I just hate that his chicken buddy got killed. 😭
But growing up with kittens has its advantages I suppose if they'll catch giant bugs to eat. Lol!

Good job!👏🏻 I start the topics and you can respond!😉 Shaw your water garden is beautiful........ some neighbor children built one but all their fish died so The crazys are gonna make a hot tub out of it😂
Thank you! When the man took on the project to build it for me...
It was really supposed to just be a water feature for wild birds to drink and bathe.
I wish I still had the pictures of what it looked like originally. (They were on my old SIM card that got fried)
What we originally done was buried a small mineral tub for the pump to be submerged in at the far end of the pond. We used black plastic to make a shallow Creek bed look. We ran the tube under some river rock back to the antique pump and had flat rock stacked underneath to create a small waterfall. It was perfect.

But we really did not know what we were doing and we did not realize that even though it was shallow, the weight of the water and rock was still enough to settle and find every little piece of glass or Rock sharp enough to poke holes. After pulling it all out and redoing it about 4 times..
The husband got pissed and finally just bought one of those plastic pond liners.
Butttt.
He bought a used one from someone. Guess what?
It leaked. 🤬

Last edited:
And so we had to empty it all out again. We ended up lining the pond liner with plastic. And then we put some kind of rubber stuff on top of the plastic to keep the rocks from poking holes in the plastic.
I have had it for several years now and it is really starting to lose water again. One side of the pond liner is about to cave in too. The husband says he is not redoing it a 7th time and I don't blame him!
So here is my advice..
if you are going to do it make sure you know what you're doing and do it right the first time.

Back
Top Bottom