calling any one from missouri

I have tomatoes to plant too, And I have peppers started.
We didn’t get as cold as they forecast, 27 for a short period, and it was soon above freezing. I had covered strawberry plants and small berry bushes, and they did fine. The sun is out and it seems amazing how hard it was snowing yesterday!

Well the snow is trying to finish what the cats started with the little tree ... if only Shaw had warned me that Japanese maples were a struggle 😉

View attachment 2626911

And the cats are just hanging out on their cushion in the garage annoyed that I woke them to talk about snow and Leon Redbone, lol

View attachment 2626912

Turkey thinks the gods are crazy

View attachment 2626913

And here are our Virginia bluebells demurring to the snow...
View attachment 2626910

And before the snow
View attachment 2626937

And the cats just requested this one, lol:

How'd I miss this yesterday?

@OhZark Biddies
I think the reason my Japanese maples kept dying is because we kept planting them during rainy season. I think I remember reading that they do not like their feet to stay wet. So you may want to read up on that and decide how much you want to water it. You seen how my yard gets. You probably have better drainage than I do.

We got a hard freeze last night, but it looks like everything survived. (I haven‘t yet checked on all the wildflowers planted & just coming up though...fingers crossed for those.)

Garden is ready for planting. Tomato seedlings are eager to get in the ground & peppers will be soon. I try to wait till the very end of April/beginning of May because there’s always that one last storm that turns everything into a mud pit & beats up all the baby plants. The waiting is hard though.

I still have 17/23 hens that I got in 2018. I lost a few to different predators (1 coyote, 1 raccoon, 1 hawk) & a few more got egg-bound. Late last year I got a Buff cockerel from my neighbors (new to chickens, ended up with a surprise boy they didn’t want). I’d been toying with the idea of adding a boy & so I brought him home. So far so good, though he is a bit enthusiastic with the girls & some of them are down a few head feathers. That said, I now have a very happy broody sitting on 4 eggs. (I’m letting her do all the work, she’s a week in.)

@OhZark Biddies
I think the reason my Japanese maples kept dying is because we kept planting them during rainy season. I think I remember reading that they do not like their feet to stay wet. So you may want to read up on that and decide how much you want to water it. You seen how my yard gets. You probably have better drainage than I do.

Ahh I see... that shouldn’t be a problem for us here... we’re on top of a rocky ridge, so our yard dries out fast.

Planting tomatoes between 4/20 and 5/10 is only for the few counties that are in the southern zone of Missouri. It's pretty strange that part of south west and central are in the north zone!

g06201.jpg
https://extension.missouri.edu/media/wysiwyg/Extensiondata/Pub/images/g06201.jpg

https://extension.missouri.edu/publications/g6201?p=1

JT

Back
Top Bottom