calling any one from missouri

Thanks. Patience is hard. There will be pics, but that‘s hard now too. Mama is in a wire dog kennel in the coop & I‘m having to crawl half in to check on her. Awkward enough without camera wrangling too.

Last edited:
The traditional location and orientation of an arched garden trellis was always to set it on the north side of the garden arched from west to east. This was because Old Scratch* always brought frost, sin, and bad luck to the garden from the north, and he couldn’t enter the garden through a properly built and blessed trellis, plus that way the trellis didn’t cast shade on the garden for lesser evils to play in.

a trellis on the east side was said to make it hard for the morning sun to bless the garden each day. A trellis on the west side made the garden hard for the rains to see, and invited drought. And a trellis on the south side was only built by a banker or some other godless heathen, who was just building it for show.

It was important to create the arch west to east in order to have it bow from the summer rain ( which typically comes from the west). Once it’s built no one can tell which way it was constructed, but if the garden turned out poor or was not well tended after a new trellis was set, the neighbors would gather after church and say things like “... I’ve seen that mess of weeds, that’s an east to west arch if I ever saw one, I bet the poor fool didn’t know any better... his mother was from Ohio after all.”

* “Old Scratch” was the old Ozarker’s code name for the devil, since it was bad luck to say his name out loud
What a wonderful piece of folklore. Thanks for sharing. I’ve been considering building a trellis over the gate to our vegetable garden. I will certainly take these tips to heart when I start the project. Then my superstitious inklings can be a rest. 😉

I had a Rose Breasted Grosbeak in the yard today... that’s the first one I’ve seen since this time a couple of years ago when they were migrating through... this one hung out eating seeds for a while then slurped some grape jelly from the oriole feeder... I had no idea they’d eat that kinda thing 🤔

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Rose-breasted_Grosbeak/id

Back
Top Bottom