calling any one from missouri

Yesterday we re-opened a new chicken run area that had been closed for months due to branches falling. After all that was cleaned up, my daughter and I stretched on new netting above. The chickens were pleased to have greenery again. It’s mostly chickweed and henbit. 362B64E8-F617-4EA9-8D9C-A62106D222FF.jpeg 1CC39807-300D-4B97-9AC6-C739C689CDDE.jpeg

Yesterday we re-opened a new chicken run area that had been closed for months due to branches falling. After all that was cleaned up, my daughter and I stretched on new netting above. The chickens were pleased to have greenery again. It’s mostly chickweed and henbit.
What netting did you use?

Now I have to go see if we have henbit :D I know for sure that we have jtbit.

JT

Yesterday we re-opened a new chicken run area that had been closed for months due to branches falling. After all that was cleaned up, my daughter and I stretched on new netting above. The chickens were pleased to have greenery again. It’s mostly chickweed and henbit.View attachment 2663081View attachment 2663083
Hens look very happy!

It’s 42 & muckety, muckety here. Time to mow, but that won’t be happening till the ground dries out. I have a few more things to plant in the garden & that will have to wait too. And stick picking...could be a full time job for sure.

Mama & babies continue doing well. I read somewhere on here that you can start integrating into the flock about now. The thought of that makes me way too nervous. I think I’ll keep them in the kennel a bit longer & then move them to an old coop in the chicken yard, till they feather out at least.

What netting did you use?

Now I have to go see if we have henbit :D I know for sure that we have jtbit.

JT
The netting that I used was a new kind that was a big hassle and I’ll never use again....it‘s probably for draping over plants, and we never got it right trying to stretch over our rectangular run. The large mesh allows it to become curved awfully easily. It ended up with a big curved side, but we patched in a final section. It still has bunchy areas.
CCF517CE-B88E-49E3-B200-05B667F7E5AC.jpeg
Previously we used bird netting from Lowes and Home Depot, (pic below) and this works out fine, but under the trees where the new area is, it collected too many falling sticks. (I thought the bigger mesh of the other kind would be better, but not the case. ) This bird netting from Home Depot is what I recommend. It comes in 7 X 100’ rolls and is very lightweight, but strong enough. It’s very stretchy and holds up to ice, snow, sun, cats walking on it etc.
A6B71F8A-E137-4C70-A605-306C66BAE9D2.jpeg

Last edited:
Hens look very happy!

It’s 42 & muckety, muckety here. Time to mow, but that won’t be happening till the ground dries out. I have a few more things to plant in the garden & that will have to wait too. And stick picking...could be a full time job for sure.

Mama & babies continue doing well. I read somewhere on here that you can start integrating into the flock about now. The thought of that makes me way too nervous. I think I’ll keep them in the kennel a bit longer & then move them to an old coop in the chicken yard, till they feather out at least.
Is your mama hen pretty high in the pecking order? That would be a consideration. I have a broody now. I just gave her eggs to hatch yesterday. This will be my first experiment with letting a hen raise babies in the flock. She’s right up at the top of pecking order. But we’re only on Day 1 of incubation. And she’s young, one of the 1 yr olds, with no experience. But it seems to be programmed into them, right? We will see how it goes.

Is your mama hen pretty high in the pecking order? That would be a consideration. I have a broody now. I just gave her eggs to hatch yesterday. This will be my first experiment with letting a hen raise babies in the flock. She’s right up at the top of pecking order. But we’re only on Day 1 of incubation. And she’s young, one of the 1 yr olds, with no experience. But it seems to be programmed into them, right? We will see how it goes.
To be honest, I don’t know where she falls in the pecking order other than she’s not at the bottom. Meaning I’ve never noticed her to be picked on.

Back
Top Bottom