calling any one from missouri

It was 38º here this morning!
Here’s a pic of Jude, the goofy gangly cockerel, now almost 5 months old. He just began crowing for the first time yesterday morning. It sounded more like an owl, OOOoooooooºººººOOOooo, over and over. Beldar, the rooster took notice, and now chases him. Not sure how this will turn out, but I noticed that Jude was very quiet this morning. This is how a flock raises a cockerel....View attachment 2867785
Now that is a true Funky Chicken! How fun! My Pretty Boy has yet to crow…almost 24 weeks. I need to get some new pics, like Jude, he’s quite handsome.

It finally feels like fall around here. (Yay for weekly grass mowing to be done for the year!) I do believe I’ll be moving the porch plants inside within the next day or two.

I went to a store in Pittsburg KS to pick up some WW flour and they didn’t have my usual choice of King Arthur or Bob’s Red Mill. They had their generic Kroger brand and they had a variety of flours labelled Hudson Cream.
4F9F96B6-EB57-4230-B000-73DEEC9029BE.jpeg I never got this brand before. But it’s milled in the tiny town of Hudson KS, west of Wichita, and a lot of people really swear by it. Their white whole wheat (which is a color variety of whole grain wheat, not white flour) is made from hard winter wheat, which is what I want for bread making.
It’s also half the price of the aforementioned famous brands.
53CC1C9F-D6B0-4F5F-814F-E8058B1E9F78.jpeg I made a non sourdough loaf, and it’s just fine. The color is a nice golden color.
If you can buy this brand where you live, you might want to give it a try!

I went to a store in Pittsburg KS to pick up some WW flour and they didn’t have my usual choice of King Arthur or Bob’s Red Mill. They had their generic Kroger brand and they had a variety of flours labelled Hudson Cream.
View attachment 2868960I never got this brand before. But it’s milled in the tiny town of Hudson KS, west of Wichita, and a lot of people really swear by it. Their white whole wheat (which is a color variety of whole grain wheat, not white flour) is made from hard winter wheat, which is what I want for bread making.
It’s also half the price of the aforementioned famous brands.
View attachment 2868959I made a non sourdough loaf, and it’s just fine. The color is a nice golden color.
If you can buy this brand where you live, you might want to give it a try
We're living in a gutted house right now, with no kitchen, but I can't wait to get back to my bread making and cooking. Have gained 20 lbs in 18 months of eating prepared foods, because we only have a microwave to cook with. The only wheat I'm not a fan of using for bread is the hard red wheat.

We went to the Lebanon, Indiana show yesterday. There were a good number of really nice birds there. I'm beyond excited because I picked up a pair of show quality Pekins, 2 pr of Cayugas, a pair of White Indian Runners that are nice and TALL, and a pair of Snowy Mallards.

Picked up a pair of chickens and a pr of Pekins for another MO Poultry lover and will deliver them to the Sedalia show next weekend. IS ANYBODY GOING TO THE SEDALIA SHOW???

Now my daughter wants a pair of Blue Magpie Ducks LOL And I've got Pomeranian and Pilgrim Geese fever! Does anyone in Missouri show these geese???

We went to the Lebanon, Indiana show yesterday. There were a good number of really nice birds there. I'm beyond excited because I picked up a pair of show quality Pekins, 2 pr of Cayugas, a pair of White Indian Runners that are nice and TALL, and a pair of Snowy Mallards.

Picked up a pair of chickens and a pr of Pekins for another MO Poultry lover and will deliver them to the Sedalia show next weekend. IS ANYBODY GOING TO THE SEDALIA SHOW???

Now my daughter wants a pair of Blue Magpie Ducks LOL And I've got Pomeranian and Pilgrim Geese fever! Does anyone in Missouri show these geese???
I’d love to see photos!

Pretty Boy crowed this evening, woohoo! I wasn’t sure what the garbled noise was coming from the coop, but by the time I walked across the yard to investigate he had the hang of it. Here’s a pic from today with one of his hatch-mates. He doesn’t much like modeling…likes to hide from me so it’s hard to get a clear shot of him.

Edited to add that they’ll be 24 weeks tomorrow.

3DC9E396-D3C6-4446-8967-1C8F2794662D.jpeg

Last edited:
We're living in a gutted house right now, with no kitchen, but I can't wait to get back to my bread making and cooking. Have gained 20 lbs in 18 months of eating prepared foods, because we only have a microwave to cook with. The only wheat I'm not a fan of using for bread is the hard red wheat.
What, no bbq grill, no crockpot, no electric griddle? You poor thing, that’s a long time without a kitchen. I hope you don’t have to go much longer

When I built my house as soon as it was in the dry and a bedroom and bathroom was done in the basement we moved in. Microwave and hot plate for cooking. Wife said she would wash dishes in the bathtub... by Saturday I had a dishwasher temporarily installed under the stairs.

JT

When I built my house as soon as it was in the dry and a bedroom and bathroom was done in the basement we moved in. Microwave and hot plate for cooking. Wife said she would wash dishes in the bathtub... by Saturday I had a dishwasher temporarily installed under the stairs.

JT
I just need a functioning bathroom with washer and dryer and I'll gladly move to the schoolhouse. I have plenty ways to cook without the oven.
Well..heat I suppose would be nice too. 🤪
Air conditioning..that's a luxury.
I could survive a while without it.

Back
Top Bottom