calling any one from missouri

We stopped in at one of our favorite flea markets yesterday and I bought this used book barn book for $4

Also saw a first edition hardcover of the Missouri folklore book and got excited for a minute until I saw the price of $50…I decided my paperback edition was fine

1D776D4B-7456-4048-A38A-0AE4A2D2CDC3.jpeg

Victoria has been broody for the last few days trying to hatch a ceramic egg. I removed the ceramic egg yesterday. I wish I had a spare dog kennel but all three are in use by Betty, Pee Wee and Lucy. I'm going to put Victoria in one during the day with some 1"x1" welded fence for a floor and see if that breaks her broodiness.

What do you guys think?

JT

Victoria has been broody for the last few days trying to hatch a ceramic egg. I removed the ceramic egg yesterday. I wish I had a spare dog kennel but all three are in use by Betty, Pee Wee and Lucy. I'm going to put Victoria in one during the day with some 1"x1" welded fence for a floor and see if that breaks her broodiness.

What do you guys think?

JT
I’ve had a succession of broodies in our basement broody jail. Most took at least 2 days and 2 nights, some of them took 3. But each hen is different. Try it and see. 3832AB76-9EAA-43E3-A8F6-579C94632BC2.jpeg 9C7CC1C9-8A66-4FDC-95FB-9556CA68EFFC.jpeg

I have a canopy in the large hen yard that served as sick bay and time out but right now I have 3 Cinnamon Queens living there full time.

This is how they are arranged
kennel-01.jpg

Food, mix of oyster shell, egg shell and grit and water.
kennel-02.jpg

This is Pee Wee, they were getting on top of her and pulling out the feathers in her wings, some are coming back. I keep her in sight but out of touch.
pee-wee-01.jpg

JT

@SueT I love that perch, not sure how it's attached but that's a good idea. I need to make 3 for my kennels... but they are not very big only 30" x 18".

JT
It’s not attached at all! It has a slight curve so it doesn’t roll. I take it out to clean the cage. Well this cage is only 30” X 17” (18” high). The hens are small. It’s sold as a bird cage.

What do you guys think?

JT

I’ve had a succession of broodies in our basement broody jail. Most took at least 2 days and 2 nights, some of them took 3. But each hen is different. Try it and see. View attachment 3162000View attachment 3162001
This is probably a dumb question but why does it matter if they are broody? Can't you just take the eggs daily if you don't want chicks?

This is probably a dumb question but why does it matter if they are broody? Can't you just take the eggs daily if you don't want chicks?
They stop laying when they are broody. They eat/drink very little, usually just once a day. Many hens will sit beyond the 3 weeks if nothing hatches. So it could become life threatening. They often don’t just snap out of it after 3 weeks.
A broody ties up the nest box. They are extremely protective and may warn all the other hens away. Tho if she isn’t top hen, other hens may squeeze in with her and add more eggs which leads to complications like staggered hatch. Once my top hen was broody and the others started laying on the floor of coop or outdoors.
The sooner you break the broodiness, the sooner she’ll start laying again. If it has just been a couple days, she’ll lay again within a week. But if it has been prolonged, it could be much longer.

Back
Top Bottom