calling any one from missouri

My aunt used to tell my cousin that she was going to send him to Nevada lol
This is fascinating, this history I am learning about our area. It was originally called Lunatic Asylum #3, in 1889, but it seems there was positive therapeutic aspects rather than just being a lock up:
” The asylum was physically self-sufficient from the beginning. Spread out across 520 acres, it had its own water supply, laundry facilities, power plant, and telephone systems, as well as gardens, a lake, greenhouses, a dairy, a hennery, and a hog farm, all of which aided in the production of food stuffs and provided occupational therapy for inmates. In addition to the main building, the complex contained numerous support buildings, structures, and outbuildings, including an ice plant, power plant, cannery, fire engine house, carpenter shop, barns, and silos.”

This is fascinating, this history I am learning about our area. It was originally called Lunatic Asylum #3, in 1889, but it seems there was positive therapeutic aspects rather than just being a lock up:
” The asylum was physically self-sufficient from the beginning. Spread out across 520 acres, it had its own water supply, laundry facilities, power plant, and telephone systems, as well as gardens, a lake, greenhouses, a dairy, a hennery, and a hog farm, all of which aided in the production of food stuffs and provided occupational therapy for inmates. In addition to the main building, the complex contained numerous support buildings, structures, and outbuildings, including an ice plant, power plant, cannery, fire engine house, carpenter shop, barns, and silos.”
I thought that was really interesting too. Seems like they could have turned that massive place into something else instead of demolishing it.
Makes you wonder what kind of horrible things went on there... Back in the day of mad scientist lobotomies and shock treatments.

I thought that was really interesting too. Seems like they could have turned that massive place into something else instead of demolishing it.
Makes you wonder what kind of horrible things went on there... Back in the day of mad scientist lobotomies and shock treatments.
Yeah, and I think of straightjackets....but if they had a ‘hennery’ and hogs and gardens, maybe some inmates (yeah it calls them inmates) found some pleasing/meaningful tasks. I guess it depends on whether there were guards standing over them menacingly.

Real feel of 110...
Is anyone else struggling to keep birds watered like I am? Soooo HOT!
Most everything here has big enough or enough waterers etc to hold 2 or 3 days worth. I've been hitting everyone twice a day not cause they're out but just for the fact that their water feels so warm.
Wicked fun trying to spend any real amount of time outside doing anything very laborious.

Back
Top Bottom