calling any one from missouri

Dave that would be a shame to have to take .50 per chick for purbreeds, some rare. Its very likely to happen at an auction too. Hmm, I'd say use every free advertising resource there is and auction site, including byc, but specify pickup only or in state shipping only? Maybe even check with local feed stores. Sometimes they buy from local people but probably at wholesale prices.
I have some to sell also but not that many thankfully lol.
Let us know what you decide to do.

Cheryl

I just now saw the post about the outbreak. I saw that on a poultry news site. They claim it was contained and the birds destroyed but if this stuff travels by wind ect its hard to say? Scary stuff and it really makes you question going to swaps/auctions. One thing that I wonder about is why doesn't the npip organization contact members when things like this go on so that we can be aware? :-/

THANKS to everyone who replied. I did post this on other sites but was a little panicked so posted here as well. Guess I had nothing to worry about since I went in the other room after posting on here and the little bugger was out of the shell BUT it did lay on top of the air hole on the egg next to it and killed that chick. This one was chirping so loud I thought it would wake the whole house so took it out quickly and put it in a rubber maid tub with a stuffed animal. Still wouldn't quiet down so I turned the radio on and it snuggled up to the stuffed animal and went to sleep for a couple of hours. Kept checking on it till about three then went to sleep for an hour or so and about 5:20 heard more chirping. Second one out of the egg. Now I have two in the tub under the light and the first is snuggling up to the second one as if to comfort it. Two more with holes so will see if I get four out of the five I put in the bator or what. THANK you all for listening and giving me advice. I really appreciate it. Deb

Quote:
They're smart! If they told then everyone would panic and stop buying their poultry. Not to mention the over dramatic reaction by the rest of the public that would have a fit and would 1.) stop buying chickens and turkeys and birds to raise and 2.) Crazy PETA type people would call for some law to stop raising birds altogether. So that we don't cause to the spread of some illness that one day could mutate and start affecting humans. ( As far as I know avian flu won't under any circumstances affect humans, unless you eat like they did in Asia when people started getting sick a few years ago. They were eating birds that were sick and dying or had already died from some disease which then made the people sick. We all try to be sanitary enough that it shouldn't bother us.

You're probably right. I think a person could have a farm like Ft. Knox or a closed flock and still have issues due to the spread of illnesses from wild birds, going to the feed store where other poultry people have tracked it, or wind ect. I often wonder if npip testing is worth it in Mo since they only test for pull./typh. That still leaves A.I., MG and so on to be spread unknowingly.

Time to go wade through the mud again and feed everybody. It poured all night here again.
sad.png

Quote:
Yuck, no rain here last night. Glad of that at least. Grass is growing from previous rain though! Almost time to let everyone range the yard again and then I don't have to mow!!!!

I don't know about NPIP... The real reason I decided to go with it is cause you can't sell chicks or eggs over the internet without it. I hate Big Brother getting involved but gotta do what ya gotta do. As far as what they test for... I still contend it is a way to get us to register our chicken flocks.

Quote:
How about the Tina livestock small animal sale every 1st and 3rd sturday how close are you to Tina MO?Its starts about 10 am to 10:30 am now...

Last edited:
UPDATE....... chick three is out of the shell and into the brooder with the other two and about 30 minutes ago chick 4 broke out. This one still has the yolk bag or whatever it is still hooked to it so won't move it till it is free and moving around much better.
These little chicks came from a mother who is a Silver Campine so thought that was what I would get. NOT! Two of the little ones in the brooder are redish with some yellow on the heads and body and one is solid black. Can't really tell yet about the fourth but it looks black as well but when it dries a little more I might be able to tell.

The three I hatched about a month ago are not true RIR. They are mixed with the SC as well. Guess I have MUTTS. But they are my mutts and I love them no matter what they are. I like these babies and the new ones better than the RIR's since I have put so much time into turning the eggs and watching them hatch and all the worry.
GOOD LUCK to anyone else out there who is or going to hatch eggs. Isn't it FUN!!??!!??

Back
Top Bottom