calling experts on silkies.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lilshadow, Feb 18, 2008.

1. lilshadow

lilshadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Milaca, MN
    I was told I was getting a hen and a rooster, but I have a funny feeling a have 2 roosters. I trust you folks more than I trust who I bought them from. please help
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2008
  2. mustangsaguaro

mustangsaguaro Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    I am no expert on Silkies, but looking at those pics they definately look like roos. But I could be wrong.

3. lilshadow

Jan 8, 2008
    Milaca, MN
    Thank you for looking...I am a little upset because I thought I was get a male and female..Okay thanks.

4. BantyChickMom

BantyChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2007
    Henderson, NC
    I'm having trouble figuring out what mine are, but looking at those pics, I'd say you definitely have roos.

5. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    are we talking about the two whites or the partridge and then the white? Its hard to tell on the partridge, it doesnt appear to have streamers off its head, it could be an old hen. But, the two whites are roosters for sure.

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

The two whites are roos, but that partridge one is a bit sketchy. I'm not used to non bearded birds, but with that round puff, it's a toss up. Those wattles are a bit large in my mind, but that comb isn't too far off from a good layer. However, if you feel her pelvic bones, and they are not pliable, with a comb like that, it is most likely a he.

7. silkieluvr

silkieluvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2007
    Marin, California
    Also one of the white roos has a single comb which is a disqualification in silkies...

8. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Looks like all of them are roos

9. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Quote:Its funny though......i think the single comb is prettier/cuter.

10. lilshadow

Jan 8, 2008
    Milaca, MN
    well, you guys are right...I here crowing, and both the white ones were crowing up a storm. I guess hens can't crow. The partridge one hasn't crowed yet, not even when the two white ones were. The partride one has a very small comb on its head. Not even a 1/4 inch tall. I have two more that are just little, and one has a comb, and the other doesn't. I guess I need to find girlfriends for them now. I am telling you it is so upsetting. Not that I have the silkies, but the fact I was told that I was getting 3 hens and two roos. Oh well, we learn by our mistakes huh..thanks guys.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by