Calling New Yorkers to Action!

chickbea

Songster
13 Years
Jan 18, 2007
Vermont
Did you know that, as a part of your budget cuts, your governor has eliminated the farm operations training programs at prisons? Happily, the Thoroughbred Retirement Foundation (my favorite) will continue, as the TRF funds these programs itself, but all the other farm programs are ending.
This is very sad for me, as I think it has been proven that working with animals has helped successfully rehab. a lot more inmates than most other programs. The recitivism rate of parolees who have been through one of these programs is much less than the rest of the released population, which should be reason alone to fight for their continued existance.
I don't live in New York, or I'd be on the phone already to my reps! If you live in New York, and you feel the same as I do, call and complain!
:mad:
EDIT: (Only non-violent inmates are selected to participate in these programs
wink.png
)

Last edited:
Teach a man to fish......

That is what truly irks me about the penal system, they come out better criminals & nothing at all has been "fixed" or dealt with.....

Can't help with the rest though I am in Utah...

I live right down the road from a prison farm. My BF picks up the milk from there. It is sold to the processors. The manure is reused. They grow feed for the cows and food for the two prisons right there!!!! Very little cost to the system.

But the Gov needs to make it look like he's doing Something.

How about some of the "Pork" spending. Or a pay cut for the State Officials since may of them have jobs on the side.....

Don't get me going....

Quote:
The gov. wants to cut in places that are already cut way too thin - that prison farm worker is usually a civilian employee who works along side those CO's and the inmates. He is trying to make a living, and teach a skill to the inmate at the same time. He's not makin' a buck - he's helping the state save the bucks. Call those government officials and give 'em hell....SHAME in them!

Its is one of the cleanest farms he picks up at, I go with him sometimes.

The inmates get attached to the animals, I saw how they all worried about one of the "Ladies" that was down sick. They kept her close to the front to watch her, kept her in the shade, hosed her down (middle of July!) and finally got her back up.

They are closing operations and selling the cows off.....

There will will grown men crying. They would fight over farm duty. Yes it is hard work but they loved it.

They will miss the fresh food next year. I wonder if there will be complaints.

I think the few farms that are run by the state are a drop in the barrel in the overall budget.

There has to be another way.

Back
Top Bottom