Calm, healthy duck breeds

Fawkes

Crowing
13 Years
May 8, 2011
Hey everyone, I'm looking for advice on which duck breed(s) to choose. I've had ducks most of my life and currently have Muscovies who are a special favorite of mine.

I'm looking for very calm, cuddly, healthy ducks to keep with my Muscovy flock. So preferably breeds who aren't prone to leg & egg problems, etc.

So far I'm looking at: Welsh Harlequin, Buff, Cayuga and Blue or Black Swedish.

Any thoughts? What's your experience with them?

Thanks!

I've only owned two of the prospective breeds. I've found that Swedish are more nervous than Cayugas, and Cayugas also lay better.

But I'd like to add that my Muscovies do not care to associate with my other ducks (the Muscovies are far more aggressive, and have different interests, such as brooding all the eggs), and you likely will not end up with a blended flock.

As you are asking about cuddly ducks, I am responding but assuming your ducks are pets like mine. I have a flock of pekin and muscovy drakes. One of the pekin drakes has a strong bond with one of the muscovy drakes. They do squabble in the spring but are fine out free ranging during the day. Over night the two pekin drakes sleep next to each other in medium duck crates in the coop, while the two muscovy drakes sleep outside the crates -- one a top a repurposed wall cabinet that is in the coop as a cold weather shelter.

My son has two pekin females and a muscovy female: they are close buddies and have even accepted a feral rooster hanging around in my son's back garden. The females are definitely less trouble than the drakes but only the female muscovy likes cuddles. Whereas with my drakes, one muscovy is a great lump of cuddly drake, both the pekins are calm and consent to petting but don't come looking for it, and the second drake does not like being petted but is really nosy and likes to know what I am doing all the time whether I am in the garden or in my house.
We have had no leg problems nor egg problems, but the pekin are all slim active ducks not excessively large. The female crested pekin can fly and delights in flying across the back yard to overtake the other two waddling ducks. [The muscovy has her wings clipped and so cannot fly]. My own crested pekin drake is a slim little guy quite as agile as his buddy muscovy, climbing up and down steps without hesitation.

I should add that the flocks are both blended -- not brought up together from little fluffy ducklings. The female muscovy was introduced to my son's ducks this year when they were all 9 months old. My flock are rescues and have been together for variable times. The bigger of the two pekins was the last one introduced 2 months ago when he and y original crested pekin were 12 months old and the muscovies were 9-10 months old

Attachments

• 20220203_105025.jpg
    20220203_105025.jpg
    414.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220430_192846.jpg
    20220430_192846.jpg
    492.2 KB · Views: 3
Thanks for the replies!

Yes I'm looking to get them for pets! :) I've had Muscovies with Pekins and a Mallard before and they didn't really hang out together, you can definitely tell that Muscovies are a separate species with their own way of communicating etc.

I actually currently have Muscovies, Mallards and geese that free range my yard all the time and they all stick to their species. But I imagine some could be friends, the same way you sometimes see inter-species friendships with other animals.

But I don't really mind if they don't bond because they'll have their own species to be friends with. As long as they don't fight or bully each other.

I'm still conflicted between these breeds lol, but I guess it's more personal preference since everyone's experience is different and every duck is an individual even if their breed may have certain characteristics.

I raise Buffs..great dual purpose med weight..Never have had any issues..ever. good layers, great momma's..ready for market in 8-10 weeks..nice white carcass..I usually get an egg a day..which surprised me as most literature states about 240 eggs ..unless of course I let the duck set..

Back
Top Bottom