Camden, Ohio (Preble County)

Stephie-Pie

Chirping
Dec 25, 2020
Camden, OH
I can't find ANYTHING in writing regarding BYC in Camden, OH! I have read the village ordinance and so far I'm seeing nothing that says chickens are banned/outlawed. The only thing I have found is this section here that even remotely relates...

Its very vague.. but it seems you can have them as long as they are kept under control, as in not running all over the neighborhood??

Any Help on this would be appreciated!
Screenshot 2020-12-26 at 7.25.33 PM.png

I can't find ANYTHING in writing regarding BYC in Camden, OH! I have read the village ordinance and so far I'm seeing nothing that says chickens are banned/outlawed. The only thing I have found is this section here that even remotely relates...

Its very vague.. but it seems you can have them as long as they are kept under control, as in not running all over the neighborhood??

Any Help on this would be appreciated!View attachment 2464666
Super vague, except definitely dont free range. 😉
In your other post, did you say your grandmother does live there or did?

Super vague, except definitely dont free range. 😉
In your other post, did you say your grandmother does live there or did?
She has lived there all her life.. but she never raised any chickens herself so Im not sure she would know. Besides.. I love my Grannie, but she is a bit of a "storyteller" lol... so Im not sure how accurate her info would be...lol (Love ya Grannie!)

UPDATE!
Okay, So I called the Village of Camden and no one picked up (I left a message)... I then called Preble County Zoning Office. The Preble County Zoning Office Manager said it would be entirely up to the Village of Camden so... cross yer fingers folks!

(So far I have seen no ordinance specifically banning chickens, but then there isn't one regarding chicken keeping at ALL...so we'll see!)

Later that night...
Another Upate: Sooooo, I called three times today on top of leaving a message this morning to the Village Admin office... No Answer and No Callback. I guess I will try again tomorrow :(

Last edited:
Sounds to me like they don't have specific laws about chickens, probably because there have been no issues historically with people keeping chickens. Ordinances and laws usually have precedence to why the exist in the first place. The only issue there is that you're not really protected if you did get chickens and someone complains, so it would be wise for you to be VERY CAREFUL in managing your flock. Pick quieter breeds (if that's possible), no rooster, keep a clean coop, don't get too many chickens, like no more than 5-6 (for noise reasons), don't free range them, etc.

Also, eight weeks for puppies! Such a shame :(

Okay, So I finally got in touch with someone in the admin office and they said

...there are NO BYC allowed in Camden :(

This is extremely disappointing to hear (especially since I considered Camden such a wonderful town because of its small town charm)

I still have a chance if the OHIO HB 124 ends up passing! So let's just keep our fingers crossed!

Okay, So I finally got in touch with someone in the admin office and they said

...there are NO BYC allowed in Camden :(

This is extremely disappointing to hear (especially since I considered Camden such a wonderful town because of its small town charm)

I still have a chance if the OHIO HB 124 ends up passing! So let's just keep our fingers crossed!
Did you reference the information that you had posted on here? Cause the word chicken clearly is present! It sure would be nice to see the rule that says no chickens.

Did you reference the information that you had posted on here? Cause the word chicken clearly is present! It sure would be nice to see the rule that says no chickens.
No, I didn't mention it :( But the woman sounded pretty stern about her answer, so I doubt if anything I said would have helped. Same. I would have loved to see something in writing as well :(

Back
Top Bottom