Came home today and noticed this....

DLCShark

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 18, 2014

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance.

I think she either laid an egg too large or got vent block and tried to get it fixed herself. Another chicken may have pecked her I would probably put some Blu-Kote on it. Hope this helps;)

What is blu-kote and where do I get it?
Thanks

It's a medication spray that turns wound bluish purple and helps it to heal. It also helps open wounds to not get infected. I use it on all of my injured chickens whether the wound is a little peck or the size of a football. They have it at most tractor supplies, feed mills, and farm stores, but it is a little high. I think it's $7 for a can. Make sure you don't get it on you though, it stains, so your chicken will be purple for a while but it will eventually wear off. Good luck;)

It's a medication spray that turns wound bluish purple and helps it to heal. It also helps open wounds to not get infected. I use it on all of my injured chickens whether the wound is a little peck or the size of a football. They have it at most tractor supplies, feed mills, and farm stores, but it is a little high. I think it's $7 for a can. Make sure you don't get it on you though, it stains, so your chicken will be purple for a while but it will eventually wear off. Good luck;)

Do I need to isolate her change her food discourage laying?

I would probably isolate her in a dog kennel or rabbit cage etc... I would probably keep her food the same and throw out her eggs if she lays any. Most hens won't lay after an injury but if she does, I would not want to keep the eggs because if the wound has been infected then the germs can enter the wound and get into the eggs.

I would probably isolate her in a dog kennel or rabbit cage etc... I would probably keep her food the same and throw out her eggs if she lays any. Most hens won't lay after an injury but if she does, I would not want to keep the eggs because if the wound has been infected then the germs can enter the wound and get into the eggs.

Thank you so much. I have a feed store across the street and I have a small hoop style tractor to isolate her in. She's my jumbo egg layer and they were getting BIGGER!

I believe your hen was vent pecked. This can lead to severe injuries or cannibalism, and later on, it can lead to salpingitis and egg yolk peritonitis. Separation until she is somewhat healed, Blukote or other anti-picking creams such as Nustock, and make sure that your chickens have plenty of room and at least 16% protein in their diets. Boredom can cause vent pecking, as well as a bully. Occasionally, a vent prolapse will attract pecking because of the red tissue, which can then escalate into something more serious.

I got her in quarantine and blu-kote on her butt. My RIR hen was following her around pecking at her backside this morning before I seperated her.

Back
Top Bottom