Cameras & Lights For Backyard?

Aquatic_blue

Songster
May 14, 2019
Southwest USA
We seem to have issues of people climbing over our 6 foot, gated, and locked fence in the middle of the night. We usually can't prove it, but panels for our solar lights will be turned around so they don't get enough sun (happened again today so I figure they will be back tonight). We see different footprints, have had our shed doors dented in, and one shed had doors off the track, but not opened as both sheds are locked. I hate the fact our yard gets dark at night and sometimes we can hear someone, but can't confirm it because we cannot see anything. We also have our chickens and I am worried about their safety, too. Nothing has happened to our chickens, but I don't know if whoever comes in our yard ever would, but we have had no obvious predator issues and broken screens our old coop. We are broke until Friday, but when we get money in, we want to get added security.

Any recommendations for good/reliable outdoor cameras and motion sensor or flood lights? I have been a having a hard time finding a good outdoor camera with nightvision. We have WiFi, but where we need to put the camera may or may not get good WiFi signal. I don't have a smart phone with service (working on it), but I can use my smart phone at home with our WiFi. I would like a camera that goes on the cloud, but this may not be doable. I don't want to buy a camera that will just get tampered with. I was thinking about those trail cams that are battery operated, but I am not sure where to hook it to.

I am also trying to think of something we could do without spending money, but I am drawing a blank. =(

I hope you've taken some pics of the evidence and reported to the police.
I don't know much about the cams, but I'm sure someone will be along to help.
What range of area do you need to cover?
How far from your house?
The Wyze cam is one I remember people being happy with, relatively inexpensive but needs AC power and not waterproof.

I hope you've taken some pics of the evidence and reported to the police.
I don't know much about the cams, but I'm sure someone will be along to help.
What range of area do you need to cover?
How far from your house?
The Wyze cam is one I remember people being happy with, relatively inexpensive but needs AC power and not waterproof.

The police probably aren't going to do anything about it. I do know we have a troublesome neighbor nearby that has tried to break in to two neighbor's homes during the day (one home he tried to climb the fence. They have 4 or 5 boxers...so they couldn't get down and moved to the neighbors house). The police were called, but somehow they didn't have enough to press charges after this person was found hiding at someone else's home after people at their actual home say they didn't live there. I have seen them stashing purses, flatscreen tv's, etc. under a trailer across the way - called the police...nothing. Not sure how he keeps getting away with this junk, but it is going to take a lot to put him away, I guess. I assume it is the same neighbor or a homeless person looking for somewhere to sleep.

The range I need to cover isn't that huge. It is my backyard, we don't even have 1 acre. I am not sure of the measurements. I am more thinking of where to put the camera. The big tree, chicken coop, and shed provide all these awful blind spots. I get WiFi signal in the backyard, but it is not strong. For out there, we would definitely need a weather proof cam. I wonder if I could sit the camera in the back window inside maybe? I would be able to see the backyard with a WiFi powered one, but couldn't tell if they are hiding by the chicken coop.

Back
Top Bottom