1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Campells biting me... help?????

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by smiths12, Jun 21, 2016.

1. smiths12

smiths12 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2016
    I have 3 female campbell ducklings. They are really scared of me run when i go to pick them up and bite my hands whenever they can. Is this normal. How do i get them to be ok with me?????

2. LeiaLayers5

LeiaLayers5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2015
    Suffolk VA
    My Coop
    I would not take offense to them "biting you", I think all ducks do this. Sometimes its defensive and other times, it might be to get attention. You have to figure out what it means in your case. I would say the best thing to do is just find ways to get them to trust you more like giving treats and associating you with good things. They might not want to be held and that depends on the duck themselves, but do not take it personally, we want to see them as our babies, but they do not necessarily see themselves as such. Different breeds and individual ducks are different in their likes and dislikes and what they are ok with. Just have to read your little ones and act accordingly. The longer you have them, the more they will get used to you. Just keep in mind, they may or may not want but so much interaction with you even as they get bigger. Hope that helps!

3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I never handle my ducklings but do enjoy them a lot.
    Mine think I am their mother and imprint on me. In general ducks dont like to be held. Mother Duck never picks them up. She quacks to them and loves them on the ground. Mine follow me all over the yard. I quack if I need them to follow me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by