"Camper Coop"...what do you think?

DutchChic

Chick Charmer
11 Years
Jun 4, 2008
NE Oklahoma
Okay...I've been watching craigslist for a camper shell or truck camper cheap. I scored big today! I'm getting a really decent truck bed camper....the big one that has the big bed over the truck cab. I'm going to strip it out and turn it into a "Camper Coop". I'm sure someone else has done this. Anyone? What problems did you face? I think it will work great....allow windows that open and close, good insulation in the cold, jacks to allow for keeping it off the ground, shade under it for the chickens...the electric works so I can rig something to allow for light, even in the winter when I need longer "daylight" hours for laying. The best thing about it is that it's cheap, cheap, CHEAP! Way cheaper than I could ever build anything.
wee.gif

Yes, I will. I'm hoping to use some of the cabinets on one side as brooders. Right now, chicks start out in the house and I'd rather them not so that's a biggie for me in the plans. I can't wait to get started on it!

I had an old pickup bed trailer with a camper shell on it and turned it into my brooder pen for chicks old enough to go outside. It works great! I opened the windows and put chicken wire over the openings and screwed a 2x4 between the wheel wells. I also hung a feeder from the ceiling. Good luck to you!

Quote:
Oh yeah! See...I think it will work like a charm. Mine is even bigger than your's, though....
big_smile.png
I'm thinking the bed area that goes over the cab could work as a roosting area. I'll have to make them a ladder though.

BOY they will be living it up in one of those. Does it have the air conditioning unit on the roof? That would be awesome for the really hot muggy days. Run the hose to it and have water at the coop and rig up a pump system and a timer for fresh water all the time. Collect the eggs and cook them or refridgerate them all in one spot. The options are endless.

Sounds cool show us some pictures when you get the chance and let us know how it goes.

LOL...well I think I'll skip the A/C, but I hadn't thought of the auto water system. The water hookup works in it, so that's a very real possibility!

I have one made from a truck cap. Its raised up on wood posts, boards & wire around the bottom. Its not pretty, but it works good. I use an old ladder as a roost. I hung milk crates on the wall for nests. I have a pic--just gotta find it!

Back
Top Bottom