campine hunched over, won't drink, cold to the touch

eggxelent

Chirping
7 Years
Dec 19, 2012
So I just opened up our chicken coop, and noticed that I had forgotten to close the inner coop door (the one we use to keep the chickens warm, not the one to keep them protected) when I put my chickens in last night. All the girls seemed fine except for the smallest one, a campine named Spunk. She was hunched over and making high pitched noises underneath the ramp that connects the coop to the run. At first she wouldn't eat, but now she will. She still won't drink but I wonder if it's only because she doesn't see the water. We warmed up the water, but she still won't drink. When you pick her up she provides no resistance (unusual for Spunk, why do you think I gave her her name?). She will walk if nudged but prefers to stay in one place. She acts like she's just extremely sleepy but it's the middle of the day! The scariest part is that she is cold to the touch, or at least her feathers are.
Some additional info on Spunk:
She is the bottom of the pecking order
She has a small comb
She is almost a year or a year and a half old
She is not laying eggs presently
She is not SQ
UPDATE: She still will not drink, but does not act sleepy anymore. She won't eat lettuce and her poop is emerald green with watery stuff the color of scrambled eggs! She has kind of a squishy crop and sometimes just walks in circles, like she is unbalanced. She keeps just stopping whatever she's doing and squinting her eyes closed.
UPDATE: Next morning, Spunk is dead. Towards the end, she was suffering for about two hours before she finally stopped breathing, but we couldn't do anything because there were no chicken vets around.

Last edited:
MIght be a good idea to put her in a warm room or cage (80-85 degrees) and see if that perks her up.

-Kathy

Quote:
We already have her in a cat carrier in our living room with bedding in it. She is sound asleep with her head under her wing right now. Maybe I will put a heat lamp in there. Thanks!
Careful with a lamp, they can get too hot.

-Kathy

We put her in our bathroom with a heater for a while, but then we all had to leave so we turned off the heater and just let her be in the warm room. Now we are putting her outside because it is warmer out there than in here. She came out of her cat carrier to eat and she has a hearty appetite now so that is good. We are thinking that maybe the older chickens harassed her and she didn't get any sleep or something like that because now she is acting pretty normal.

AAAAH!
She just pooped and it is emerald green with yellow watery stuff that looks about the color of scrambled eggs! This is not normal!

Back
Top Bottom