camping from Friday night to Sunday Afternoon in Summer

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by happyhensny, Apr 21, 2009.

1. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

OK, we go camping many weekends in the summer. I have large waterers, feeders, as predator proof as I can be - BUT any ideas on how to minimize x's per day chickens need attention? During the week they are free ranged. Here's the layout:

Coop 1 is 8 x 8 with attached chain link run total = 20 birds (1 Roo)

Coop 2 is 4 x 8 with attached chain link run = 7-9 banties

Coop 3 is small chicken tractor with 2 White Japanese with fenced run.

I have a friend who will come over to care for everyone but any ideas to minimize her time would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. happyhensny

Darn ,everyone seems to be busy! I can't be the only one who goes anywhere?

3. rachiegirl

rachiegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    Beaver Co. PA
    Sorry, I really can't help much as I was wondering the same thing. If they are "safe" in the run does someone need to come morn and night to let them in and out or is it ok to leave coop open? [​IMG]

4. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    I would probably leave the birds indoors for those days that you're gone, or pay a neighbor to come close the coop door at night and open it during the day.

Thats the only thing I would be concerned about.

5. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    We go to our cabin 2-3 times a month over the summer so I am in the same boat. I plan on keeping enough water and food for them to satisfy their hunger and keep them shut in over the weekend we are gone. IF it's too warm that weekend then I will have one of the neighbors come over and let them out so the coop during the day and back in at night (Saturday only). We are home by 2-3pm on Sundays so that's not a big issue, it's Saturday that I worry about the most!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  6. Glenda L Heywood

Glenda L Heywood Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    just make sure the chickens have a safe run as we never had any problems and surely had many more than most people do
    I had strong fencing for the birds and never had any dogs get to them

It is better to let them out in a pen as the summer heat can get toooo hot to keep them locked up
    and surely you cam get some folks to come and see how they are and gather the eggs daily
    make sure they lock up them at night and let them out in run in day time

come summe coons and opposum will be out looking for feed for their babies
    so have good strong gates to the runs

have at least two feeders and two waterers for the chickens

7. ChickyLaura

ChickyLaura The Crazy Chicken Lady

Mar 31, 2009
    Eastern/Central PA
    Man, it's like you can all READ MY MIND. I had the same question! [​IMG]

8. happyhensny

I wonder how long eggs can be left out.. We are in and out of the coops like 10 times a day. We love to hang out with the chookies!

9. GardenerGal

GardenerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Quote:IME, it's best to collect eggs at least once a day, better twice - once in the morning, once in the evening. But if you go away, as long as they're not lying in the sun or mud, they will probably be fine over a weekend. Eggs can sit for a couple weeks before the hen goes broody to set, and they're designed for that. They won't start "germinating" unless they are in heat that is close to a hen's setting temperature or a little cooler such as low 90s I don't know what the starting point is. Glenda probably knows! But even during summer they won't do much of anything during a weekend.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  10. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Quote:Patience... The forum is HUGE... It takes time for questions to be answered. [​IMG]

If I were you, I would figure out how much food your flock eats in three days and invest in a large feeder/dispenser (you can also build one). Sometimes you can make one large enough to hold an entire bag of feed.

That way, the only thing your friend would have to do is inspect the coop and run for any signs of predators trying to get in, and change the water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by