Camping with your chicks, coop ideas

tydyed

In the Brooder
Aug 4, 2021
We are avid campers and are ready to embark on our first trip since getting our girls. Problem is, my daughter does not want to leave them even for just a weekend. I'd love to take them with, wondering if a large plastic dog kennel would work as a coop to keep them in at night with us in our pop-up camper? Anyone done this or have suggestions. We have a little pop up run for during the day or let them free range it, just need something to keep them in with us at night away from predators.

You might instead view this as an opportunity to teach your daughter about doing what is best for the chickens (I don't mean that snarky at all.) The chickens would be stressed, and what will you do if you want to go on a hike, etc.? Sure, chickens can be transported in a dog kennel, but they'd be stinky and probably miserable cooped up in one and travelling. Free ranging? No, no, and no. They won't know where to come back to and it would be like declaring open season.

You might instead view this as an opportunity to teach your daughter about doing what is best for the chickens (I don't mean that snarky at all.) The chickens would be stressed, and what will you do if you want to go on a hike, etc.? Sure, chickens can be transported in a dog kennel, but they'd be stinky and probably miserable cooped up in one and travelling. Free ranging? No, no, and no. They won't know where to come back to and it would be like declaring open season.
I didn't mean like let them roam unsupervised. All good things to think about thanks for your input. I just read of a few that had done it. Our girls are pretty clingy so I was just concerned if they'd freak out if we were gone for a few days. Getting an automatic door might be the better option.

I didn't mean like let them roam unsupervised. All good things to think about thanks for your input. I just read of a few that had done it. Our girls are pretty clingy so I was just concerned if they'd freak out if we were gone for a few days. Getting an automatic door might be the better option.
It can be done, but they would have to be trained since when they were chicks to travel, like many animals. Killerbs has a point, there are serious diseases that wild turkey and birds can catch from chickens so bring chickens in their area can spread it. Vice versa for wild bird disease for your chickens.

People do things like this all the time even when popular opinion is different.
Just start working with them. Teach them about the whole idea and do what you want to.

And I totally didn't mean to imply you wouldn't supervise them or be careless! It's just that I know how much chickens like their "place" and their routines...it takes a while for them to learn where their coop is and go back to it free ranging. Of course maybe yours would stick close to you; I'd just worry about what might show up at the campground or out of the brush or woods thinking "oh, cool...chicken dinner." It's sweet that your daughter loves them...I just meant you could explain that they really like to be at home where they are used to things and they might be scared in a new place. Any chance you could have a neighbor or friend check on them and shut them in at night while you're away?

Back
Top Bottom