Campylobacter

washxc

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 20, 2010
Yep. The doc called this morning and said that the week and half of diarrhea and aches and pains I've had are a result of Campylobacter bacteria. I raised my second batch of CX birds this fall and I'm almost positive that I got the Campy from processing a bird as I got sick right after. It's all a bit disheartening and I'm on hold for our planned chicken dinner tonight...

I'm trying to figure out exactly how it happened. I killed and skinned a bird right before I got sick and I did nick myself on the finger...

We've also got layers that we keep penned in by a poultry net and we happened to have them in the yard where our new puppy has found an affinity for hen turds. Unfortunately she also has a habit of "giving kisses".

Any thoughts? Has anyone else ever had this happen?

yup! but not with my own chickens -in fact it was way before I had chickens. It comes from teh bacteria getting into some open part of your body and into your mouth---finger nails are a huge culprit-if you dont scrub out under your nails when handling chickens at any point-you can easily get it. I was the cook at a july 4th BBQ-noone else got it but me. So I can only attribute it not scrubbing under my nails-I washed my hands all day over and over but since I handled the chicken Im sure it is because I didnt scrub under my nails and I put my fingers in my mouth after-tasting something-...I am rediculous about it now-scrub scrub scrub!!!

So sorry you got sick. Campylocker is so ubiquitous it nearly impossible to eradicate. Here's a list of steps that you can use to reduce it.

BTW- don't feel like you've done something wrong. Lots of people get sick and blame it on flu, colds, 24 hour bug etc. A lot is food borne illness.

Hope you feel better soon,
Imp

CLEAN: Wash Hands and Surfaces Often
Wash your hands with warm soapy water for 20 seconds before and after handling food and after using the bathroom, changing diapers, and handling pets.
Wash utensils, cutting boards, dishes, and countertops with hot soapy water after preparing each food item and before you go on to the next item.
Consider using paper towels to clean kitchen surfaces. If you use cloth towels, wash them often in the hot cycle of your washing machine.

SEPARATE: Don't Cross-contaminate
Separate raw meat, poultry, and seafood from other foods in your grocery shopping cart and in your refrigerator.
If possible, use one cutting board for fresh produce and a separate one for raw meat, poultry, and seafood.
Always wash cutting boards, dishes, countertops, and utensils with hot soapy water after they come in contact with raw meat, poultry, and seafood.
Never place cooked food on a plate which previously held raw meat, poultry, or seafood.

COOK: Cook to Safe Temperatures
Use a clean food thermometer when measuring the internal temperature of meat, poultry, casseroles, and other foods to make sure they have reached a safe minimum internal temperature:
Beef, veal, and lamb steaks, roasts, and chops to 145 °F.
All cuts of pork to 160 °F.
Ground beef, veal and lamb to 160 °F.
Egg dishes, casseroles to 160 °F.
All poultry should reach a safe minimum internal temperature of 165 °F.
Stuffing whole poultry is not recommended. Cook stuffing separately to 165 °F.
Leftovers to 165 °F.
Do not eat or drink foods containing raw, unpasteurized milk.
Fish should reach 145 °F as measured with a food thermometer.
Bring sauces, soups, and gravy to a boil when reheating.
Reheat other leftovers thoroughly to at least 165 °F.

CHILL: Refrigerate Promptly
Keep food safe at home, refrigerate promptly and properly. Refrigerate or freeze perishables, prepared foods, and leftovers within 2 hours (1 hour if the temperature is above 90 °F).
Freezers should register 0 °F or below and refrigerators 40 °F or below.
Thaw food in the refrigerator, in cold water, or in the microwave. Foods should not be thawed at room temperature. Foods thawed in the microwave or in cold water must be cooked to a safe minimum internal temperature before refrigerating.
Marinate foods in the refrigerator.
Divide large amounts of leftovers into shallow containers for quick cooling in the refrigerator.
Don't pack the refrigerator. Cool air must circulate to keep food safe.

Thanks for your replies, I'm on the mend I think.

Anyone else ever get it from processing a bird?

I'm trying to figure out where it came from...

It's most commonly found in the digestive tract of poultry, so I wouldn't be surprised if the puppy transferred it that way or if you improperly washed your hands after handling the entrails when you processed. It's unlikely that you got it from the nick on your finger, I think C. Jejuni normally needs to be swallowed to infect you.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif
100%

Back
Top Bottom