Can’t decide if babies should be in or out. Temps on the cusp!

This was just the pep talk I needed. Thanks.
You’re very welcome! Here are my newest chicks, outdoors using Mama Heating Pad. The bigger Brahmas are 9 days old. The tiny ones are now 5 days old. It was 47 degrees and raining when I took these. Don’t they look miserable without a heat lamp and living in a box in the house? :idunno
3BD44CC0-2247-45A6-A542-E97850649073.jpeg

731DABB5-A67F-4A0E-8855-BC97CBB0D6C6.jpeg

3723929E-753D-48CC-BD72-C76F2838B2BB.jpeg

And I'm sure you're not the first or last! I keep watching the forecast and from what I've been reading on BYC, with 60's at night (gasp) and 80°-90° during the day, they'll be just fine!

I brood outdoors from day 1. As long as they've got their heat source they're fine.

They abandon the heat on their own between 3.5 and 5 weeks depending on breed and weather.

@Blooie I have 2 week olds I'd like to get out of the house and your post (#7) was just what I needed! Thank you! I can do this! I might be going out to check on them in the middle of the night with a flashlight in my nightgown but I can do this! :D
As long as you have a heat source for them until they begin to acclimate to ambient temps, they should thrive. As I’ve mentioned, they won’t be happy at the change, but they’ll get over it. Glad I was able to help.

I love this thread. It encouraged me to let my 2 baby chicks be chicks and put them out. They were 3 weeks old had a mama pad and a separate cage so they could see and interact with my 11 week old girls. They've thrived and grown. They seem to be happy. They have now quit using the Mama pad at all and just huddle. All seems well in their world. If it wasn't for all the reading (thanks Blooie) and researching I'd still have them in the living room!

I love this thread. It encouraged me to let my 2 baby chicks be chicks and put them out. They were 3 weeks old had a mama pad and a separate cage so they could see and interact with my 11 week old girls. They've thrived and grown. They seem to be happy. They have now quit using the Mama pad at all and just huddle. All seems well in their world. If it wasn't for all the reading (thanks Blooie) and researching I'd still have them in the living room!
Love to hear it!!

Back
Top Bottom