Can’t figure this weirdo out

I see why it is confusing.

But are you sure about the age? Those look more like 6 weeks old (1.5 months), not 6 months.

If they are 6 WEEKS old, then I think you will need to let them grow a bit longer before you can be sure which are females and which are slower-maturing males.
Nope 6 months they are bantams :) ameraucana bantams

Nope 6 months they are bantams :) ameraucana bantams
I know you said bantams, which explains why they are small, but I was surprised by how immature they look.

By six months of age, I would have expected bantam males to look like mature roosters (long flowing saddle feathers, big showy sickle feathers in the tails), and I would have expected them to start crowing somewhere between 2 and 4 months of age.

I guess you just have ones that mature later than the bantams I've had :idunno

I’m thinking my two silver bantams are hens. I really thought they were roosters, I’m kinda disappointed I didn’t get one silver rooster. I was looking at my crowing roosters and these two birds do not have pointy feathers like the wheaten roosters do. The last two pics show the pointy feathers of one of my roosters….what do you think? The first pic I was convinced it was a rooster the tail curves slightly too but no pointy feathers…I’m sure the one with the cross beak is also a hen…

Attachments

• 3B4FDD1A-18E6-490B-87EA-E30020697F96.jpeg
    3B4FDD1A-18E6-490B-87EA-E30020697F96.jpeg
    274.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 1EF2BA0F-8AE1-46F3-9057-3DBE87BAD336.jpeg
    1EF2BA0F-8AE1-46F3-9057-3DBE87BAD336.jpeg
    405.9 KB · Views: 10
  • BE0F368F-732A-4115-A6BC-DB992EF673E7.jpeg
    BE0F368F-732A-4115-A6BC-DB992EF673E7.jpeg
    611 KB · Views: 9
  • 15423068-6F49-40F0-8ABB-065C3A9EBE06.jpeg
    15423068-6F49-40F0-8ABB-065C3A9EBE06.jpeg
    540.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 49653D95-2851-46C3-90A2-9B7E47345D4B.jpeg
    49653D95-2851-46C3-90A2-9B7E47345D4B.jpeg
    346.4 KB · Views: 10
I’m thinking my two silver bantams are hens. I really thought they were roosters, I’m kinda disappointed I didn’t get one silver rooster. I was looking at my crowing roosters and these two birds do not have pointy feathers like the wheaten roosters do. The last two pics show the pointy feathers of one of my roosters….what do you think? The first pic I was convinced it was a rooster the tail curves slightly too but no pointy feathers…I’m sure the one with the cross beak is also a hen…
The two silvers are definitely females. Silver or gold with the salmony color on the breast always indicates a female, whereas males of this color pattern will have black or blue breast coloring.

The two silvers are definitely females. Silver or gold with the salmony color on the breast always indicates a female, whereas males of this color pattern will have black or blue breast coloring.
That’s good and bad!! I don’t have a silver rooster to keep it going now :( just my blue wheaten and wheaten rooster. If I mix those two I’ll have an ameraucana not recognized by the standards. What would the color scheme be anyways if you mix a silver with a blue wheaten?

That’s good and bad!! I don’t have a silver rooster to keep it going now :( just my blue wheaten and wheaten rooster. If I mix those two I’ll have an ameraucana not recognized by the standards. What would the color scheme be anyways if you mix a silver with a blue wheaten?
I am not a genetics expert, but I believe the females will look like the silver females you have but the silver will be replaced with gold, and the pattern may be somewhat messy. The males will be silver with gold leakage, especially at the shoulders. 50% will have blue feathers in the wings/tails and breasts in the males, and 50% will have black in those areas. Hopefully someone like @NatJ will come along and explain it better than I have.

I am not a genetics expert, but I believe the females will look like the silver females you have but the silver will be replaced with gold, and the pattern may be somewhat messy. The males will be silver with gold leakage, especially at the shoulders. 50% will have blue feathers in the wings/tails and breasts in the males, and 50% will have black in those areas. Hopefully someone like @NatJ will come along and explain it better than I have.
That sounds about right.

I agree.

I was looking at my crowing roosters and these two birds do not have pointy feathers like the wheaten roosters do. The last two pics show the pointy feathers of one of my roosters….what do you think?
Yes, those pointy feathers are the male "saddle feathers" people sometimes talk about when trying to sex chickens. If you see those feathers, the bird is a male (or a rare female with hormone issues.) If you do not see those feathers, the bird is likely a female (or it's too young to have them yet, or it's a male with the hen-feathering gene. But I'm pretty sure yours are females because of their colors, and the lack of male saddle feathers is an extra confirmation that they are female.)

Back
Top Bottom