Can’t get my 2 year old hen to lay eggs

Inesg9

Chirping
Nov 11, 2017
I have a Plymouth Rock chicken who hasn’t laid eggs since almost three months now. She is free range, we’re in California by the ocean so it’s not overly hot here.
I can’t get her to eat her layer feed anymore. I try mushing it up with water, I even added cat food in the mush to disguise the flavor… she won’t touch it. She get scratch grains and meal worms in the morning and occasional lettuce and watermellon and other fruits.
When she stopped the last some of the eggs in her last rounds of laying had thin shells, so I think it’s the calcium that’s missing. She has oyster shells and I crumble up eggshells, but she doesn’t touch those either.
(No signs of egg eating by the way either)
I used to have two chickens (as pets in the backyard) and the other one died about 7 month ago. I haven’t gotten another yet…. But monitored her closely for signs of depression. She seems fine, eats, walks around in the yard, hangs out with my cats and seems very normal. Could it be that she stopped laying cause she is lonely?

Layer feed doesn't make chicken lay, there's not anything you can do to make her lay. The death of the other chicken probably set off a soft molt. Her diet is concerning, she's gotten spoiled, that's why she's not eating the layer. Don't feed her anything but the pelleted feed. Cut out scratch, mealworms,fruits and vegetables, everything and leave the pellets in her coop. She won't starve, no healthy animal will starve if there's food.

When there is another chicken present it creates competition. Food is one of the competitions. Now she has everything for herself so no need to hurry to get her share.

Back
Top Bottom