Can’t get rid of rats

Here is a bait station I use. The red and purple lines are the rats path to the bait. The green lines are the partitions in the middle of the bait box on the inside which the rat has to go around to get to the bait. That is why the bait stays inside the bait station. I bought a couple of other bait stations thinking they were like my original one but they weren't and turned out to be disposable. I figured out how to take the top off to replace the bait as needed. They have clear tops instead of the little window above the bait.
RatBaitBoxRev.jpg RatBaitStationRev.jpg RatBaitStationRev1.jpg

I used bromethalin, had a norway rat infestation that was out of control.
At the time I had pigs and I was using the old fashion wood spring traps which I have used before, but not having much luck. (The rats were eating the pig feed.}
The day the pigs left for processing I cleaned the pens removed any leftover feed waited couple days made sure they were hungry and gave them a meal. That got rid of them.
I do not like poison and still use the wood traps, but when the population gets out of control I poison them.
That is the ingredient in the bait I use and it works.

So I have a huge issue now, we tried another trap the ratinator, no luck at all. The next thing I was going to try was one of those bait stations however the eggs just piped so now I NEED those rats gone ASAP. I was thinking that if I got rat poison (not ideal but now it’s either them or the ducklings) and then trapped them down underneath where they are living with the poison that way they couldn’t get to the duck and ducklings and they would have to eat the poison, the other idea is if I trapped them underneath the same way I would for poisoning them but instead of poisoning them I opened up an exit outside the coop but then the issue is they may come right back in. Any other ideas?

Don't have any idea for quick eradication. Even if you were to hire a pest control they would put the bait stations out. This appears to be a dilemma. I have a brooder made of hardware cloth where nothing can get to my chicks.

Don't have any idea for quick eradication. Even if you were to hire a pest control they would put the bait stations out. This appears to be a dilemma. I have a brooder made of hardware cloth where nothing can get to my chicks.
I have a brooder but it’s one for in the house. I have some extra hardware wire, could I make like a big box around her with it?
my chickens have killed three mice no problem. they are dinosaurs
I wish lol, we had rats in our chicken coop a while ago but I think they chased the rats away. Every now and then I’ll catch the girls chasing a black raser across the yard lol.

Put the mama and babies in an extra-rat-proof spot. Hardware cloth box, in your house...

Whatever method you choose for rats likely won't be immediate.

Also, post on local social media asking if anyone has a rat terrier you can borrow. You'll probably need to remove your birds from the area so the terrier can have free access to the run and not hurt the birds, but they are AMAZING little rodent killers. Better than a cat...except lots of times they aren't safe around the birds. Crazy prey drive.

Traps and dogs won't ever get them all, it does take poison, and often changing out the bait in the bait stations after a week or so.
Hiding places, and if you have insulated walls, that's a great place for rodents to take up, so really look at those areas.
And of course chicks and ducklings are easy prey! The year we had a rat problem, they killed three nice bantam pullets at night, and these pullets weighed in at about one pound each at the time. We removed insulation and used bait stations, including bait down their burrows and then covered over with concrete blocks. We never found a dead or dying rat, they all died 'at home'.
Our barn cats never felt that rats were their problem; mice, sure, not rats.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom