Can 12-Week Olds Have Layer Feed?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by citychickinthecountry, May 21, 2010.

1. citychickinthecountry

citychickinthecountry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2009
    Gainesville, Florida
    I'm wanting to introduce my "chicks" and my adult hens (all bantams and silkies (bantams)) when the chicks are 12 weeks old. I currently have the chicks on grower feed. When I place all of the chickens in the same coop, I'll really have no way to keep the chicks from eating the adult hen's layer feed.

Is this a problem? Is there a minimum age where the chicks can start eating layer feed? Also, it is a problem for the adult hens (that are laying eggs) to eat the chicks' grower feed?

One of my adult hens (which has since passed...attacked by a hawk [​IMG]) started laying eggs at 18 weeks. So, it wasn't an issue that I started my hens on layer feed at 16 weeks.

At night, when I separate the chickens back into their pens (chicks in one pen and adult hens in another), they'll each have the proper feed. But you figure that during the day, they'll eat each other's food.

2. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

I recommend if your mixing them (this is what I do) is feed the chick feed(or what ever your youngest group needs) and having oyster shells free-choice for the laying hens. That way the little ones don't get too much calcium.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by