Can 2 rooster live together and without hens

Here's a question... If you have a 'bachelor pad' with just roos - and if it's across the yard or even out of sight of the pen with the hens - they will still crow won't they?
hide.gif

I'm not sure that I'm ready for the yard to erupt several times a day in a chorus of crowing...
Our roosters crow in the morning and any time through the day when the flock gets seperated at all... it is their way of communicating to someone they think is there but can't be seen. So even if they are out of sight of the hens in a seperate area if they can even hear them I would expect them to try to communicate with the hens. It's just in their genes...

Edited to correct spelling...geesh my overtime is affecting my fingers too! LOL

Last edited:
Don't try to let them mingle. It'll just be highly frustrating for the roosters and all you'll do is spend the entire time chasing roos off hens. Really, the roosters won't be after some good conversation or cuddle time
wink.png

Hello everybody and thank you for the replies.
Martin and Renato, my 2 new boys, are getting comfortable by the minute.
Now, I'm debating the matter of the fertilized eggs. On one hand, I don't want fertilized eggs, but on the other one, these 2 creatures have very evident needs that I don't feel to have the right to suppress. I may let them mingle with the girls and live all together in peace ... if possible.
Now, from the POW of the girls, I was wondering if they would be happy with a couple of guys around or they would prefer to keep their lives the way it is now; far away from the battery cage, free-ranging and single?
Kindly,
Sandra

Depends on how frisky the boys are with the hens...A couple of my hens will get an attitude with my roo if their'not in the mood'..but one hen spends most of her time fighting off the rooster, as she is his favorite.
Just watch and make sure the boys are taking it easy with the girls...most roosters will calm down, but at first they may act like teenagers with the girls.

Also, my girls are glad to have a protective roo..he keeps them safe, and if they get separated they will call for eachother. I don't think your hens will mind having a couple guys around, but they may not notice if they're never there either.

My flock is much calmer with the roosters. The roosters naturally keep order and stop hen squabbles. And good roosters take care of their hens, and find tasty treats for them to eat. It's very cute.

Chickens like hierarchy. If there's no rooster, one hen will often step up to "be the rooster," and she may even crow. In my experience, top hens are much harder on a flock than a rooster.

If you see lots of feathers pulled out, or cuts on the hens' sides from spurs, or the roosters are chasing the hens around and force-mating them when they've made it clear they aren't receptive, then you need to remove the roosters.

Back
Top Bottom