Can 2 roosters be best friends?

sapphiresilkie7

Songster
Mar 20, 2022
Ok, so I have two silkie roosters and they go everywhere together. They’re pretty attached to each other. Rooster A was getting beat up by another chick (which was also a rooster) so I separated him while he was healing. But I didn’t want him to be alone so I put Rooster B with him because he was my smallest chick. I didn’t know it was a rooster at the time. Turns out they are both roosters. They only had each other for like a month so I’m assuming that’s why they are so close. Will this last or will nature take over and they will eventually not get a long? They’re still only 9-10 weeks old now. I ended up with 4 roosters and I’m looking to rehome some but…I feel bad separating them since they are so close😅

In my personal experience, roosters that are raised together fair a lot better then having older and younger roos introduced or two roosters of the same age but different flocks put together. I think that when they are raised together they figure out the pecking order a lot sooner and don't have as big of a quarrel.

I've had two pairs of roosters that were inseparable.

The first pair were Seramas. We got them from a someone who was rehoming them due to the other roosters and hens bullying them. The second day we had them, one of the roosters, Rusty, flew away into the woods ( we were moving and he jumped out of his box after unpacking from the car). The other rooster, Dusty, went into a deep state of depression. He didn't want to eat or drink and just sat there with his eyes closed. I'm sure he would have died of heartbreak if we had not found Rusty three days later. I never once saw them fight and they took they shared the spot of top rooster. They would gang up on any of the other roosters that came near their girls and polity took turns mounting the hens.

The second duo were Favaucanas. They were the only chicks that hatched out of twelve shipped eggs. They imprinted on each other I suppose. I was disappointed to find out they were both roosters, but ah well. They were barely a few years old when the dogs got to them. They tried to protect each other but both lost in the end.

You won't know for certain if they will continue to get along or if they will break apart until they are older. 10 weeks old is still young to be certain of a Silkies age.

Trust me he won't miss the rooster if you decide to keep him and he has a couple hens.If you're giving them away you'll be lucky to find them homes.I wouldn't require anyone to take both of them.It might knock both of them out of a good home.You don't want to have a more than one rooster if you don't have more than 6-10 hens.

In my personal experience, roosters that are raised together fair a lot better then having older and younger roos introduced or two roosters of the same age but different flocks put together. I think that when they are raised together they figure out the pecking order a lot sooner and don't have as big of a quarrel.

I've had two pairs of roosters that were inseparable.

The first pair were Seramas. We got them from a someone who was rehoming them due to the other roosters and hens bullying them. The second day we had them, one of the roosters, Rusty, flew away into the woods ( we were moving and he jumped out of his box after unpacking from the car). The other rooster, Dusty, went into a deep state of depression. He didn't want to eat or drink and just sat there with his eyes closed. I'm sure he would have died of heartbreak if we had not found Rusty three days later. I never once saw them fight and they took they shared the spot of top rooster. They would gang up on any of the other roosters that came near their girls and polity took turns mounting the hens.

The second duo were Favaucanas. They were the only chicks that hatched out of twelve shipped eggs. They imprinted on each other I suppose. I was disappointed to find out they were both roosters, but ah well. They were barely a few years old when the dogs got to them. They tried to protect each other but both lost in the end.

You won't know for certain if they will continue to get along or if they will break apart until they are older. 10 weeks old is still young to be certain of a Silkies age.
Thank you for your reply! It’s interesting to read about that kind of behaviors amongst roosters.

Back
Top Bottom