Can 3 week old chicks go outside?

Over the past few days they have been doing well. I have noticed that every morning when I check on them a few more have broken away from the huddled group and chose to sleep further from the heat element I take this as a sign that the heat is probably not necessary anymore.

My “day job” happens at night and is 3 12 hour shifts with a 45 minute commute each wayso on my work days I don’t have much free time. Tomorrow is the start of my work week so I plan to stay up all night tonight so I can sleep in the morning and go back to work tomorrow afternoon.

Since I’ll be home and awake tonight I plan to not plug in the heating element and check in on them several times throughout the night. If the appear to be comfortable without the heat I’ll likely keep them off heat but still in the garage while I’m working then move them outside in my next stretch of days off when I can keep an eye on them.

Over the past few days they have been doing well. I have noticed that every morning when I check on them a few more have broken away from the huddled group and chose to sleep further from the heat element I take this as a sign that the heat is probably not necessary anymore.

My “day job” happens at night and is 3 12 hour shifts with a 45 minute commute each wayso on my work days I don’t have much free time. Tomorrow is the start of my work week so I plan to stay up all night tonight so I can sleep in the morning and go back to work tomorrow afternoon.

Since I’ll be home and awake tonight I plan to not plug in the heating element and check in on them several times throughout the night. If the appear to be comfortable without the heat I’ll likely keep them off heat but still in the garage while I’m working then move them outside in my next stretch of days off when I can keep an eye on them.
The heat is “free choice” when they get too warm they move away to cool off and then back to warm up again.. they need the option to stay warm until fully feathered and steady night time temps are 70° or above.. you said you had temps in the 50s at night.. that is a bit cool in my opinion.. just my 2 pennies.

The heat is “free choice” when they get too warm they move away to cool off and then back to warm up again.. they need the option to stay warm until fully feathered and steady night time temps are 70° or above.. you said you had temps in the 50s at night.. that is a bit cool in my opinion.. just my 2 pennies.
Thanks for your thoughts. The weather here has warmed up a bit. lows get down to the lower 60s outside but only for a couple hours. The garage is unheated but is insulated well enough that it doesn’t get under 70 degrees in the garage. Maybe I’ll leave it plugged a couple more days if you think they still need it.

Sounds like a good plan.

Thanks for your thoughts. The weather here has warmed up a bit. lows get down to the lower 60s outside but only for a couple hours. The garage is unheated but is insulated well enough that it doesn’t get under 70 degrees in the garage. Maybe I’ll leave it plugged a couple more days if you think they still need it.

I've had well-feathered 4-week-olds from fast-maturing breeds off heat in temperatures down in the mid 40's as long as they were in a draft-free area.

I gave them a huddle box, but they refused to use it.

Back
Top Bottom