Can 3 week old chicks go outside?

Mine would be outside and in a draft free coop with a heat lamp if the temp is below 70. Heat lamp needs to be 18-24" up from them if they were mine. The heat lamp is not so much for extra warmth but to keep them from crowding to tight and crushing the weaker ones.

I would put them out and not worry about the heat lamp. I would worry a bit more about shade. At this time of year, they are much more likely to get overheated if they cannot get into shade. The more space they have, the stronger and healthier they will be. I introduce mine to the flock at this age.

I set up a safety zone, where there is feed and water inside the run. There is a portable dog crate, that they will instinctively go into ( a card board box will work too) near dark. I put it in the coop for predation SAFTEY.

Day 2-3 - I lift the fence a few inches off the ground, and put a pallet near by just slightly above the ground. Eventually they will explore out into the big girls. They may get a small chase, and can escape back to safety.

In a week they are accepted into the flock. I do keep feeding them in the zone to make sure they get enough.

Mrs K
Down into the 50s at night they will need a lamp.

Here is a picture of the little coop. It still needs some hardware cloth and the doors finished but I have the materials here just haven’t took the time to finish it up. It’s built out of a pallet and some scrap 2x4. The only thing I had to buy was 1 piece of siding and a sheet of OSB every thing else was scrap or repurposed lumber.

My thought was to build some sort of fence right up against the run for my main coop so the new ones and the older ones can see each other for a while before I put them all together.

I’ll likely also expand the run on the main coop as well when I move everyone in together. Chicken math is getting to me lol.

Attachments

• CA124C3D-096F-4210-8ADD-B4E132ADD588.jpeg
    CA124C3D-096F-4210-8ADD-B4E132ADD588.jpeg
    975.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 1C9AAE9F-4DF0-4A24-AC6A-AD98958CACD7.jpeg
    1C9AAE9F-4DF0-4A24-AC6A-AD98958CACD7.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 3
My thought was to build some sort of fence right up against the run for my main coop so the new ones and the older ones can see each other for a while before I put them all together.
Yes that would be a good idea to help with integration.

As far as the original question, quite a few of us brood outdoors from the start, generally inside a coop but my brooder actually sits outside in the run when it's between mid 40s and mid 60s. Those temperatures are not a problem at all as long as chicks have a fairly dry, draft free warm area to use, and some shade as well (as they can overheat and your temps are running warm).

Here is a picture of the little coop. It still needs some hardware cloth and the doors finished but I have the materials here just haven’t took the time to finish it up. It’s built out of a pallet and some scrap 2x4. The only thing I had to buy was 1 piece of siding and a sheet of OSB every thing else was scrap or repurposed lumber.

I’ll likely also expand the run on the main coop as well when I move everyone in together. Chicken math is getting to me lol.

I don't know that I'd feel safe using a heat lamp in a structure that small. A heat plate, but not a lamp.

If you'd said nights in the upper 60's I'd say they'd be fine but I'd be leery of temps in the 50's with that level of feathering.

I don’t have a heat plate but I do have a 100w ceramic heat element. It puts out way less heat than a bulb. I did move them out to the garage next to a window they appear to be happy here for now. I’ll let them feather out for another week or too.

If they look like they are getting too cramped for space I’ll find new homes for some. As it stands I have more than I want to end up with I just need incubated as many eggs as I could fit so I could sort out the keepers once I have a better idea how many are boys and girls

Attachments

• 86577C5A-9B62-428D-A2ED-48502DD2FC53.jpeg
    86577C5A-9B62-428D-A2ED-48502DD2FC53.jpeg
    553.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 5B2E3B86-6C7D-4D0B-B776-14D99DEE098E.jpeg
    5B2E3B86-6C7D-4D0B-B776-14D99DEE098E.jpeg
    283.4 KB · Views: 0
I don’t have a heat plate but I do have a 100w ceramic heat element. It puts out way less heat than a bulb. I did move them out to the garage next to a window they appear to be happy here for now. I’ll let them feather out for another week or too.

If they look like they are getting too cramped for space I’ll find new homes for some. As it stands I have more than I want to end up with I just need incubated as many eggs as I could fit so I could sort out the keepers once I have a better idea how many are boys and girls
I’ve used those ceramic heaters for meat birds. They’re awesome.

I think it’s a great idea to give them about a week (little more, little less) with a lower power heater in the un-climate controlled garage to adapt and add a few more feathers.

Looking at the size of the brooder and the size of the coop, if you ease them down on less added heat (most lamps are 250w, as you said your ceramic is 100) for a couple days they should be fine huddling together when you put them out in 5-9 days.

They spent the night in the garage. Around 9pm, just after sunset I did plug in the 100 watt heater. When I checked on them in the morning they were all cuddled together sleeping under the heater. I must have woke one of them up when I entered the garage because she jumped up and went to the feeder. Within a minute or so they were all up alert and walking around make happy chick noises.

I’ll keep with this routine of giving some heat at night and unplugging the heat during the day for a week or so and reassess their feathers and the weather forecast to determine when to make the next move.

They spent the night in the garage. Around 9pm, just after sunset I did plug in the 100 watt heater. When I checked on them in the morning they were all cuddled together sleeping under the heater. I must have woke one of them up when I entered the garage because she jumped up and went to the feeder. Within a minute or so they were all up alert and walking around make happy chick noises.

I’ll keep with this routine of giving some heat at night and unplugging the heat during the day for a week or so and reassess their feathers and the weather forecast to determine when to make the next move.
Might not need the whole week, but it sounds like you’ve got the right idea. The fact that they were cuddled under the heater indicates they need at least a little more time.

Glad all is well 👍

Back
Top Bottom