can 5 week old chicks go in coop with 1year old chickens

samandmike

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 5, 2009
hay all this is the problim i need the brooder for new chicks coming on the 29th and was wandering if i go to feed store and get about 12 chicks can i put the other chicks in the brooder when thay get hear on 29th was also trying to figure out how i can get pullits not roo from feed store the ones i was looking at look like black astralorp chicks pics on cackel hatchery can that be feather sexed or do i just have to crap shoot again on straight run hate to allready have 6 roos and only 22 hens and thanks for any advice

My personal opinion is a BIG no! The older chickens could be very rough in the picking and pecking order - stress and death could occur - I hope this is not an over reacting opinion but I would not do this with my chicks. I would build them an adjoining or seperate pen.

Hi there!
I think 5 weeks are too young. I have done it at 8 weeks. Here is how I have done it... I take a cage and place the babies in the cage with their own water and food and put the cage in the coop so they can adjust to the activity. I leave them for almost a week and then let them out in the run so they can still adjust. I leave the cage open so they can escape if need be. There will be a natural pecking order... but that is just something they would have to adjust to anyway. I would hold off longer than 5 weeks.

Quote:
Ditto.
My seperation pen is a shipping crate, like they ship washers & dryers in, covered in chicken wire. It is approx. 4x4 and I got it for free at Home Depot. After the babies got bigger, I made a little door, so they could come & go. It kept out some of the biggest, most aggressive hens. Gave the babies a place to retreat.

Quote:
Well at my feed stores, the order a whole bunch of all pullets. You might wanna ask if they have just a brooder with pullets.

Back
Top Bottom