Can a bantam live inside during the winter?

Hogan14

Chirping
Nov 22, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Okay this is my absolute last resort decision in order to be able to keep all my chickens. I’ve posted already about my barred rocks attacking my little bantam hen and she needs to be separated from them. I have considered getting rid of my barred rocks but I just can’t do it. I love my rooster. I tried posting an ad on Kijiji to rehome them but I just don’t trust people when they say they won’t use them as meat. So my other option was to move my bantam with my ducks, but I think my bantam will make my ducks unhappy because she is high strung and they are relaxed. And I can’t rehome my bantam. I have spent 3 years gaining her trust and we’ve come a long way. I live in the harsh Alberta winters and I already have too many coops outside with heat lamps and water heaters that I don’t have enough power for another coop. I have a large room in my house that my rabbit lives in, and I thought today I could get a coop and put it in that room for my bantam to live in during the winter. Then in the summer months I could move the coop back out by the other chickens so she can still see them but no one can attack her.

thoughts on this? She has to be alone though, I cant have two chickens in the house. Don’t know what else to do.

I don't see any problem with house chickens, especially if they're bantams. Many people, myself included, keep seramas indoors for instance. They live in an extra large rabbit cage that I'm working on modifying to add additional height. They get time out with me frequently and are offered plenty of enrichment. They're very happy little chickens. I don't see it as any different than having a parrot or some other pet bird kept indoors.

In your situation, I'd personally get another bantam hen to keep her company, but that's just me.

I don't see any problem with house chickens, especially if they're bantams. Many people, myself included, keep seramas indoors for instance. They live in an extra large rabbit cage that I'm working on modifying to add additional height. They get time out with me frequently and are offered plenty of enrichment. They're very happy little chickens. I don't see it as any different than having a parrot or some other pet bird kept indoors.

In your situation, I'd personally get another bantam hen to keep her company, but that's just me.
Okay thank you for your response. I’m trying to butter up my husband to allow me to get another one.

Back
Top Bottom