can a bantam rooster "mate?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by pringle, May 18, 2009.

1. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    Hi, I recently bought a very healthy, old english game bantam form a person I know and im going to get 8 chicks soon.My questions are if that little rooster can mate with a big austrolorp and lakenvelder hens im also getting some other bantams for him to and my second question is when are the hens ready to get mated and go broody.thx [​IMG]

2. cariboujaguar

cariboujaguar Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    Mississippi
    Yes bantams can often mate with standard hens (I just learned his myself) I think any healthy determined roo will find a way...

I have some 11 mo old hens who went broody, I think they lay at 4-7 mo depending on the breed, but I'm just learning here too...

3. flip9109

flip9109 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    st paul mn
    I tiny have a serama roo who only likes big silkies, I don't know how he gets it done, but i have little serama silkie babys. hens start to lay around 20weeks old. my 2 OEG's go broody more than they lay in fact they are right now. when they go broody I can break them the only way I get them to stop is by letting them hatch something.

4. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    Thanks so much for the replies,now I wonder what a bantam old english game crossed with a lakenvelder would look like,well theres only one way to find out [​IMG]

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Yep they do find a way LOL!

6. chickens3

chickens3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Eau Claire, Michigan
    Yes they can.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by