Can a big duck mate with call ducks?

Babyquail

Chirping
Aug 17, 2021
Kentucky
Due to some unfortunate circumstances I currently have a young adult Blue Swedish drake ( Sweetest boy ever) and a female call duck who should lay eggs and day now. For about a month the call has been practically throwing herself at the drake, and he ignored her. Today when she was swimming she started going into a paddle board position and swimming over to him until he actually mated with her. I didn’t break it up, as she wasn’t trying to get away and he was being pretty careful with her, all things considered, and afterwards they just kept swimming and were fine. Really really sweet drake, the girl is the mean one. I plan on getting more ducks and getting rid of the call, but for now is this ok? And if she starts laying could the egg’s actually be fertilized? Also, it’s a tiny pool so he probably can’t drowned her, and wasn’t biting anything but the feathers on her neck, so she could probably get away if she wanted to, she just doesn’t.

That's just my personal opinion. I keep my larger breeds separated from my Bantams. I have some calls that have enough size difference between them that I wouldn't leave them together. Going by my own ducks, the drakes behavior oftentimes turns more assertive as we get into Spring. It seems like I remember you posting about your Call hen before.

I agree with others. I have my 4 Call Drakes but they are with big Hens. That way they would be a lot easier on my girls than the big Drakes that I rehomed. I too would worry about your little Call Hen. Drakes can be very abusive and oftentimes we do not see it until it is too late.

Back
Top Bottom