Can a broiler be used as a layer?

WhiteLeghorn2

Songster
6 Years
Aug 8, 2013
Hi, I do not have any experience with broiler breeds (Those chickens that are cross bred to be the best meat birds) because I've put pretty much all my research into egg layers, because I'm in the hobby for eggs not meat. But out of curiousity, if you bought a broiler chick, and raised it like a regular member of the flock, could it be used as an egg layer and become a member of your flock? I'm not going to do that, I'm just curious if they can. Thanks much! God bless.
smile.png

You could keep her on a diet and let her be free range. She will lay some eggs for you but not like a laying breed would. There was a member on here that kept back some hens from the butcher and got quite a few huge eggs out of them.

Hi, I do not have any experience with broiler breeds (Those chickens that are cross bred to be the best meat birds) because I've put pretty much all my research into egg layers, because I'm in the hobby for eggs not meat. But out of curiousity, if you bought a broiler chick, and raised it like a regular member of the flock, could it be used as an egg layer and become a member of your flock? I'm not going to do that, I'm just curious if they can. Thanks much! God bless.
smile.png

Broiler chickens usually die very young from heart problems if they aren't slaughtered. I wouldn't advise trying it; for one thing they often have to be brooded separately because more active chicks will bully them.

Broiler chickens usually die very young from heart problems if they aren't slaughtered. I wouldn't advise trying it; for one thing they often have to be brooded separately because more active chicks will bully them.

That's not quite true if you feed them approximately and give them enough exercise. Most people raise them in confined conditions which isn't good for the health of the bird. Look up Aoxa's profile, she completely free ranges her cornishx with her layers. Its possible to keep them together but they can't be fighting over space or room at the feeder.

You could keep her on a diet and let her be free range. She will lay some eggs for you but not like a laying breed would. There was a member on here that kept back some hens from the butcher and got quite a few huge eggs out of them.
Thanks very much! That exactly answered my question!
goodpost.gif

Back
Top Bottom