Can a chick live with wry neck?

Blackberry18

Songster
8 Years
Mar 25, 2015
Minnesota
One of my Light Brahma chicks developed wry neck; though a very mild case where her neck is turned to one side. I've seen her eating and drinking even with her neck, and she walks all right, but still a little off balance. She even tried to fly with the others (they're a week old and are learning how), but not very well. I saw her trying to turn her neck the other way to preen, without much luck. She seems sleepy a lot and has her head hanging down sometimes. I'm currently treating her and have my hopes, but if I'm unable to cure it, will she be able to survive.

you can help her get well from wry neck. I've nursed 3 of my wry necks back but it takes patience and about one month to heal. Lots of patience is necessary because the healing won't happen over night. All three of my birds had Severe cases. I followed the treatment plan off a site called Brown egg blue egg.com or www.browneggblueegg.com. once your on the site search wry neck or I believe he calls it "crook neck". He will be discussing the Silkie breed but treatment applies to all birds. Treatment CAN BE SUCCESSFULLY if you follow his plan and leave out the Prednisone drug. It can be hard on the bird as it is a steroid. I did however use the prednisone on my birds because I had some on hand. however it can be difficult to come by and treatment WILL WORK FINE WITHOUT IT. I suggest following the rest of the treatment to a tee. IT REALLY WORKS! you might have to help the bird eat and drink while healing. Again remember although the eb site refers to Silkies, treatment remains the SAVE for other birds. The supplies you will need and correct dose will be available on the browneggblueegg.com Web site. I believe 100% in this treatment as it cured my own birds.now I have a question. was your bird injured or pecked in the head? if not the cause of the wry neck is likely a vitamin defiency. If it WAS pecked the cause could be brain swelling. if it's brain swelling that's when you might consider the use of prednisone.Hope this helps you out. you have to remember there is a reason she has wry neck so as far as just living with the condition, it would depend on the reason she developed wry neck in the first place and if that reason continued to worsen. I was told wry neckd in itself is NOT a disease but a SYMPTOM of a under lying problem. The goal is to cure the problem.Even if you are already treating please take a look at the website above because in his treatment he might be advising things your not using and it can help if followed correctly.Remember it won't happen over night, it took a good month in all 3 cases I had. I hope this helps best wishes.

Last edited:
you can help her get well from wry neck. I've nursed 3 of my wry necks back but it takes patience and about one month to heal. Lots of patience is necessary because the healing won't happen over night. All three of my birds had Severe cases. I followed the treatment plan off a site called Brown egg blue egg.com or www.browneggblueegg.com. once your on the site search wry neck or I believe he calls it "crook neck". He will be discussing the Silkie breed but treatment applies to all birds. Treatment CAN BE SUCCESSFULLY if you follow his plan and leave out the Prednisone drug. It can be hard on the bird as it is a steroid. I did however use the prednisone on my birds because I had some on hand. however it can be difficult to come by and treatment WILL WORK FINE WITHOUT IT. I suggest following the rest of the treatment to a tee. IT REALLY WORKS! you might have to help the bird eat and drink while healing. Again remember although the eb site refers to Silkies, treatment remains the SAVE for other birds. The supplies you will need and correct dose will be available on the browneggblueegg.com Web site. I believe 100% in this treatment as it cured my own birds.now I have a question. was your bird injured or pecked in the head? if not the cause of the wry neck is likely a vitamin defiency. If it WAS pecked the cause could be brain swelling. if it's brain swelling that's when you might consider the use of prednisone.Hope this helps you out. you have to remember there is a reason she has wry neck so as far as just living with the condition, it would depend on the reason she developed wry neck in the first place and if that reason continued to worsen. I was told wry neckd in itself is NOT a disease but a SYMPTOM of a under lying problem. The goal is to cure the problem.Even if you are already treating please take a look at the website above because in his treatment he might be advising things your not using and it can help if followed correctly.Remember it won't happen over night, it took a good month in all 3 cases I had. I hope this helps best wishes.
Thanks a lot! I've currently been using Vitamin E and selenium, along with Poly Vi Sol, so I have most of the stuff I need. I've been putting electrolyte vitamins in the water, and I've seen her eating and drinking, so I'm not worried much about that since it's a mild case. I've also been feeding her sunflower seeds, which she loves, and they contain both Vitamin E and selenium, so should I keep feeding her those? Thanks a lot of the article.

I don't think it would hurt to continue feeding the seeds but if the seeds are to take the place of the vitamin E and selenium I wouldn't count on that. I would poke the vitamin E caps and squeeze the content onto scrambled eggs then I'd crush a very SMALL amount of the selenium into a fine powder and mix that into the same scrambled eggs. this was a great way to administer these two items. like I mentioned I didn't deviate from the recommendations of the website. I followed it to a tee. I was very fortunate to get a chance to talk to the writer of the browneggblueegg.com Web site. He is a wonderful person who took his time to help me understand more about wry neck. I completely trusted his judgement so I didn't change a thing. I'm glad I listened because I was able to cure all three cases. However three main things cause wry neck.brain swelling, genetics, or vitamin defiency. if genetics is a cause, the wry neck CAN return in time. my cases were so severe my girls couldn't walk or feed themselves. They did summer salts and it was really a pitiful sight. I felt like this treatment was no less than a miricle. so I feel it's important to follow the treatment to a tee. minus of course the prednisone. Especially if you have a mild case. Although I DID use prednisone for my cases it is NOT necessary in all cases and can be very hard on the bird.so that's the ONLY thing I would leave out of the treatment. Years later two cases never returned. Sadly one case was genetic and returned very severe about a year later. I started treatment again immediately but the case was so severe I lost her very quickly. since your case is mild you shouldn't have any issue with recovery. just remember it takes about a month. Hope this helps you out a bit.

We had a chick once that came to us like that, she would walk in circles sometimes and always at a funny angle when she would try to walk straight. She got special treatment over the other ladies and had a little "palace" set up in the hay barn because the others picked on her. She would lay an egg every once and awhile but not too often and she lived for a couple of years before she stopped laying all together. Sweet little thing she was and so friendly! Sounds like there are some treatment options but even if they don't work too well she might live perfectly well for a few years! Best of luck.

20170904_105019.jpg

I have been treating a 3 week old Polish for 5 days. It went to the vet Tuesday for 2 shots and an exam. No worse but no better yet. Eating and drinking everything suggested for wry neck. I'm not giving up on him/her as long as I see the desire to live and eat.

Back
Top Bottom