Can a chick with a deformed leg live a full life?

Urgh that last photo looks so dirty 😖 that was in the height of bird flu restrictions when I had to keep them inside. They’re happy and free ranging in the grass and dirt all day now!
She looks happy to me. Birds do pant from being hot. Mine do it often during the summer. Her Penn will not be a large one, she'll be kept with our silkies which is a rather small area. But that all depends on how Mobil she is as an adult. We will have to put railings on our ramp so she doesn't just try and drop off it though. As for the roost, we will be making her, her own sleeping sling at night with food and water on each side.

Urgh that last photo looks so dirty 😖 that was in the height of bird flu restrictions when I had to keep them inside. They’re happy and free ranging in the grass and dirt all day now!
She will have access to free range when I'm in the yard to, but this is all assuming she makes it to that point.e

i have a year old rooster with a deformed leg (its basically at a 90 degree angle), he was hit by a car when he was a month old, while me and my mom were driving he stopped in front of our car and basically gave up on life. we were able to get him back to good health except his leg was permenantly messed up. so far hes been able to live a full life and hes been thriving. he does have some issues, hes not good at sitting on a branch, and he does get tired quickly compared to other roosters, but hes able to get around quickly and hes at the top of the pecking order. so if your chick is able to eat and drink, unless something absolutely horrible happens, its gonna be able to live a full happy life. although, if there are roosters in your flock, they could potentially really hurt her leg when shes older.

i have a year old rooster with a deformed leg (its basically at a 90 degree angle), he was hit by a car when he was a month old, while me and my mom were driving he stopped in front of our car and basically gave up on life. we were able to get him back to good health except his leg was permenantly messed up. so far hes been able to live a full life and hes been thriving. he does have some issues, hes not good at sitting on a branch, and he does get tired quickly compared to other roosters, but hes able to get around quickly and hes at the top of the pecking order. so if your chick is able to eat and drink, unless something absolutely horrible happens, its gonna be able to live a full happy life. although, if there are roosters in your flock, they could potentially really hurt her leg when shes older.
She will not be staying with our large fowl roo. The biggest she will be staying with is a silky roo.

I have chicks which like to perch on a wooden bar almost at floor level, they have higher perches and a floor box with bedding, they use all of these in their house but sleep together in the box for now.... I agree with other replies, eating drinking, moving and pooping, all good☺️

I have chicks which like to perch on a wooden bar almost at floor level, they have higher perches and a floor box with bedding, they use all of these in their house but sleep together in the box for now.... I agree with other replies, eating drinking, moving and pooping, all good☺️
Yep. She pooped on me last time I checked on her foot.

This year we hatched some young easter eggers, only three out of 18 eggs hatched. One needed help but is perfectly fine. Two hatched out completely on their own but one had a twisted leg since birth. I tried the splayed and slipped tendon treatments and none have worked. However, she is eating, drinking, and getting around just fine. I do separate her in a chick chair with her own food and water every night. But I wanna know if anyone has any success raising a chick with such a deformity?
I have a hen with a crucked leg she is now 3 months old and she is fine. I put her in a sling for 3 weeks got her strength up and now she is on her own. If your willing to give them the time. They can live a relatively normal life.

I have a hen with a crucked leg she is now 3 months old and she is fine. I put her in a sling for 3 weeks got her strength up and now she is on her own. If your willing to give them the time. They can live a relatively normal life.
She wasn't having a good quality life anymore and her leg was only getting worse as she grew older. We decided it was for her own good to put her down.

Back
Top Bottom