Can a chicken be tickled?

adni02

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 4, 2013
Well my daughter asked me that does tickling have any effect on chickens. Dogs and cats love it (at least by my experience) and if it does affect them where is the best place on their body for doing it.

I've never made one laugh but my chickens (especially my roo Beethoven) love to be held and petted.

One action/effect you might appreciate is wattle massage. Beethoven goes to sleep when we gently massage his wattles. It's fun to do and watch. Kinda like a belly rub on a dog.

Another is scratching at the base of the feathers on his chest and neck. It's what he does when he grooms himself. He's cleaning and straightening those stiff new rooster feathers that seem to be a bit itchy, I guess. He loves it. And again, he goes to sleep in our laps when we do it. Kinda like scratching behind the ears on a dog.

Good luck and happy chickens!

I've never made one laugh but my chickens (especially my roo Beethoven) love to be held and petted.

One action/effect you might appreciate is wattle massage. Beethoven goes to sleep when we gently massage his wattles. It's fun to do and watch. Kinda like a belly rub on a dog.

Another is scratching at the base of the feathers on his chest and neck. It's what he does when he grooms himself. He's cleaning and straightening those stiff new rooster feathers that seem to be a bit itchy, I guess. He loves it. And again, he goes to sleep in our laps when we do it. Kinda like scratching behind the ears on a dog.

Good luck and happy chickens!

I have a roo just like that a polish frizzle called Poppet (i know not a very manly name). He is such a little love my favourite bird in my flock.

I don't know about tickled, but my Black Australorps and Buff Orpingtons love to have their neck feathers stroked by human fingers.

i have a stand up routine that tickles my chickens, i am pretty sure i increase egg production thru laughter.
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom