Can a chicken delay laying an egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mudsow, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Mudsow

Mudsow Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2009
    I have 2 indoor chickens. Bantam Welsummers, one started laying a few weeks ago. Tonight I came home late, the room was dark it was about 9:00. I came in (they are here in my computer room) dimmed the light so I wouldn't bother them and one JUMPED off the roost, and ran into the nest box, sat about an hour and a half and PLOP, laid an egg.

If I had not come in and disrupted their roosting, would she have just laid it in the morning? It was just weird.

Mudsow

2. Fleabuskitty

Fleabuskitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Maybe you just happened to walk in at the right time? It doesn't sound like a coincidence, though... I have no idea, but that is interesting.

3. Mudsow

Mudsow Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2009
    No, they were definitly tucked in for the night. when I turned on the light, it took only like 5 minutes and she went, BAM into the whelping box. Like UhOh, gott an egg coming out! I can't imagine she'd jump down from her roost and back up to the nest box (it's on a shelf in the cage to give them more floor space) while it was dark. They get testy if I don't dim the light for 10 minutes before I leave the room to give them time to get situated. I guess I just didn't think they had that much control over the situation. Maybe they do.[​IMG]

Mudsow

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by