1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can a chicken hatch a duck egg?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TheReadyBoys, Sep 12, 2013.

1. TheReadyBoys

TheReadyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2012
    P.E.I, Canada
    I put a fertilized duck egg under a hen that is broody. Will she be able to hatch it?

2. chiqita

chiqita Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2011
    San Jose, Ca
    If it is a dedicated broody who will sit the extra time sure. Bantam hens can have trouble keeping them warm long e enough if they are big ducks.

3. TheReadyBoys

Jul 2, 2012
    P.E.I, Canada
    What do you mean by dedicated?

4. savnnah07

savnnah07 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2013
    I used to have a little frizzle hen that was super broody and my aunt had ducks at her pond but after the babies hatched the bass would eat them or the foxes would come up and snatch them (the ducks weren't great parents). So we started stealing the eggs at night and putting them under my little hen. She would sit on 15 or so eggs at a time...that was a sight! She would hatch them all out and took care of them like she was their mother, until they started to swim. She would PANIC when they got in the water. she stood by the little bucket they had and screech and screech til they got out of the water. It was pretty funny to watch [​IMG]

5. TheReadyBoys

Jul 2, 2012
    P.E.I, Canada
    Haha awesome! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by