Can a chicken lay 2 eggs within hours of eachother??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LindsaySinai, Jul 12, 2011.

1. LindsaySinai

LindsaySinai Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    San Diego
    So...everyone says EE's can't change egg color. I got two babies at the same time and over 6 months later got two very small blue eggs on the same day, within hours of each other. One day went by without any, and then for the next three days I got one small blue egg a day...and now the blue eggs have stopped and the past two days I've received one small pink egg a day. Either the eggs have changed color or one of my hens laid two eggs the very first time she ever laid....which doesn't seem possible.

2. Firegirl

Firegirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2011
    Well I'm new to this whole chicken thing but I have 2 girls who've been laying for less than 2 weeks. My EE has laid 2 eggs as well. That's occured 3 times now. She seems to skip a day then lay 2 the next. My BR has only been laying a week and she laid 2 her first day as well.

3. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    Not sure about the changing color, but my BSL laid two eggs the very first time she laid. The first egg was regular sized with a soft shell. The other was tiny with a soft shell, and I caught it as she laid it. She was laying them on the roost. It was her first time, so I'm sure she was confused [​IMG] . Since one was so much smaller than the other (just a yolk covered with shell, no white) it seemed like she was a little backed up.

Shell color can change a bit toward the beginning and end of a laying cycle. However, I would think that a blue egg would appear more white than pink. [​IMG]

4. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

My cayuga ducks can lay anything from white to grey to black shelled eggs... all depends on how long they keep them in the "paint booth"!

5. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    One of our pullets when first laying dropped two soft shelled one night then not another egg for a week. They can be very unpredictable in first month of laying. I'd sooner guess your pink egg is first eggs of other EE.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by