Can a chicken lay brown AND white eggs?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by unionhillchickens, Aug 5, 2011.

1. unionhillchickens

unionhillchickens New Egg

Aug 5, 2011
    I am really confused. My 2-year-old California White used to lay nice white eggs. Then she started laying thin-shelled eggs this spring and would sometimes eat them. Then she was having problems laying altogether and seemed to have stopped laying. Today, I heard her jump out of a nest box and come running out of the coop. When I went inside, I found one very warm, brown egg. There were no other chickens in the house. Could she have laid this brown egg?

I started searching online and could find nothing about a hen changing egg color. I looked at her lobes, and she has mottled red-and-white lobes! Does anyone have any insights?

2. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. I am not sure about that but when it come to poultry, I think anything is possible. [​IMG]

3. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana! I know that I've had some of my brown layers that laid an almost white, but that's the only experience I've had with them changing colors! Hope you get an answer to your question!!

4. TroutsChicks

TroutsChicks Fluffy Stuffins

Jun 5, 2011
    baxter Tn
    [​IMG]
    hi! I dunno yet! mines not laying yet, but i bet you will get your answer soon!!

5. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

It could be! let us know if she keeps her egg color changing? [​IMG] Hi, from Big Bear Calif, always good to meet another feather brainier. [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us. Our Easter Egger hens have gone from laying very green eggs to white ones with a green tint every so often, so I guess it could be hers.

7. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Hi and Welcome......

REALLY interesting post.

I have heard, especially from people who have flocks that lay chocolate colored eggs, that the color coatings lighten during the laying cycle. i.e. -- darker eggs at the beginning of the cycle and lighter at the end of the cycle.

In the case of your chicken, especially since she seems to have a break between the white and the brown eggs, perhaps she is beginning a new cycle and at the end of the duration her eggshell color will lighten.

8. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    [​IMG] Hello and welcome to BYC! I thought I read it on here somewhere where the egg changed color. I personally haven't experienced it. Good luck finding your answer.

9. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    Welcome to BYC!

10. enjoyin' my chickens

enjoyin' my chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    Hinesville, Ga
    [​IMG] From SE GA.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by