Can a Dark Cornish go broody????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bburn, Apr 20, 2011.

1. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    I have this chicken.....I was told she was a Dark Cornish...have also heard Cornish X but don't think that is right.

She has been in the darkest corner nest box for about three days. Maybe it is just when I am going out there, but of course that is the nest that gets the most eggs so it is the most popular. I have not seen her out but one time since I started noticing.

Do they go broody?

2. bburn

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    Just looked up a picture of one and that is what she is for sure....?

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    You can see pictures of dark Cornish on this site. A Cornish x will be white.

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGA/Cornish/BRKCornish.html

Any hen can go broody. Does she spend all night on the nest or does she spend the noight in her favorite roosting spot? Mine have to spend two consecutive nights on the nest before I give them hatching eggs.

4. bburn

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    You know, I have just noticed her. The last two days, maybe three. Will check later today and look tonight when I put them to bed and see where she is. I looked last night and could not see her. If she is in that box there are eggs in there. The last two days I have not been able to get in there to get the eggs!!

I will look and see tonight and then decide what to do about her. I will let her sit....but how long before I move her to the broody pen I have ready??

Omg....just thought about it. I have 32 chicks in the brooder and set a full incubator of eggs Saturday night. AND my DH is out of town working and I need him to come home ready to build another coop and run!!!

Oh, and thanks....had just looked up a Dark Cornish up and that is exactly what she is!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by